Claud Butler Oracle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Picked up one of these from the tip last week as a Uni bike for The Lad. Should really have gone for the Apollo at half the price but the Claud looked in reasonable shape, much better frame (brazed not welded) and should be easier to work on. Seems to be a town oriented MTB, non sus and equipped with 21speed indexed Shimano gears and canti brakes. Shimano Biopace chainring set though so far as I can judge round rather than ovoid. Built in late eighties or early nineties at a guess. Only clue as to age is a supplying dealer sticker with an 0604 STD code (ie before the extra 1 was inserted into phone numbers).

So far replaced shot saddle with one from spares box, regreased and adjusted F&R wheel bearings and rear tension arm/jockey wheels. The pedals I've concluded are past praying for being of mostly plastic construction with cones and locknuts very difficult to access. So are both tyres. Replacements ordered from Simpsons in Kentish Town.

The BB cartridge is sticky but I'm hoping it's not completely sealed and can be stripped and regreased. Headset feels OK but given state of grease in other bearings I guess I'll have to tackle it.

Anyone else got one of these or any relevant advice for basic restorations of this sort?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Bromptonaut it aint traveled far than

OP
OP
Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
@biggs682 of nine bikes in family fleet 5 have Northampton dealer stickers and three London on account of my working down 'the smoke'. Other is Mrs B's Peugeot tourer from Swinnerton's in her home town of Stoke; it pre dates our 30yr relationship.

Top Bottom