Claud Butler Urraco mods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Before I start ripping everything to bits, a quick question: this currently has Acera 3x7 speed transmission. I'm going to 8-speed and much lower gearing. I have the matching 8-speed brake/shifter. Is it possible that the Acera rear derailleur would work across the 8-speed cassette? Would save some work and keep the bike more original...not that this any great consideration.
Then I could put the marginally more fancy Alivio from the Scott onto the Trek, because it deserves it.
Your boundless knowledge appreciated!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Should work no probs if 8 speed mech and shifters. You can even use the same chain.

It would appear that my plan to use this rd is doomed to failure because it actually doesn't have the capacity to cope eith a 34t max sprocket size. The current low gear is a 28t, and apparently this is a GS rd and I'll need an SGS to deal with the lower ratios.
Bum.
But I have the Alivio from the Scott, so the overall plan can still go ahead.
Of course, an 8-speed 12-28 would work just fine, but that's the limit according to Shimano.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It would appear that my plan to use this rd is doomed to failure because it actually doesn't have the capacity to cope eith a 34t max sprocket size. The current low gear is a 28t, and apparently this is a GS rd and I'll need an SGS to deal with the lower ratios.
Bum.
But I have the Alivio from the Scott, so the overall plan can still go ahead.
Of course, an 8-speed 12-28 would work just fine, but that's the limit according to Shimano.
Would one of these help,

46570.jpg

Gear hanger extension, it should be a linky by clicking on the picture

Would one of these help,

View attachment 450048

Gear hanger extension, it should be a linky by clicking on the picture

Actually, I have one somewhere, good thinking!

20190201_085810.jpg

Found it!

Top Bottom