Claude Butler MTB?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nmfeb70

Hi, I am thinking of buying this Claude Butler MTB as a second bike. I ride about 40 miles a week on all terrain and in all weather, I'll be alternating between both bikes. Is anyone out there familiar with this bike and could offer any advice? They are asking £90 for it. Thanks.

Attachments

• ad_1580633579244.jpg
    ad_1580633579244.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 73
Might well be a good'un. Despte CBs being a very different company than in the past, the mid-90s rigid mtb I recently renovated for my son was a decent bike. Any idea of its age?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It's a basic budget bike but should serve you well if it's in good order. The fork will just be springs in a tube. Bear in mind it's 10/12 years old so try to find out what sort of use it's had and what if any maintenance. General condition is a good indication. Check the usual things like bearings, BB, hubs, steering head.
I'd say it's rather expensive unless it's immaculate and had little use.
You'll need to add guards if using in all weathers so check for fittings.
Places like Gumtree are awash with bikes like this so maybe look at others locally. Here's one for less in your area and it's got discs, better for all weathers:
https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/...ampaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

Last edited:
OP
OP
nmfeb70

nmfeb70

It's a basic budget bike but should serve you well if it's in good order. The fork will just be springs in a tube. Bear in mind it's 10/12 years old so try to find out what sort of use it's had and what if any maintenance. General condition is a good indication. Check the usual things like bearings, BB, hubs, steering head.
I'd say it's rather expensive unless it's immaculate and had little use.
You'll need to add guards if using in all weathers so check for fittings.
Places like Gumtree are awash with bikes like this so maybe look at others locally. Here's one for less in your area and it's got discs, better for all weathers:
https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/...ampaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android
Thanks,the Careers looks like a decent bike but unfortunately it's gone. I haven't been on here for a few days. Damn!

OP
OP
nmfeb70

nmfeb70

What do you guys think is the best option? Splashing the cash on a new bike (my budget takes me up to £800) or looking for a decent second hand one on Gumtree? I value your opinions.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Secondhand, ex display/demo or previous years models for me.

Worth a look here, had a nice bargain a few years ago from them.

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/

Agreed, I've had two "last year's model" Giant bikes from Paul's at enormously discounted prices... Literally the only difference was the colour of the stripes. Well worth exploring what he has, for that budget there will be something really good.

Top Bottom