Claude butler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
IMG_20210203_134838.jpg
Hi all, does anyone know what this is. It's a 1962/63. It's got the olimpic rings on the front. 531 forks and Shimano titlist rear derailleur. Cheers Kieron.

Attachments

• IMG_20210222_154402.jpg
    IMG_20210222_154402.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210222_151701.jpg
    IMG_20210222_151701.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 6

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Nice one. Likely the frame is 531 too.
Any numbers on the BB?

If the frame is 62/63 then the Titlist derailleur is a later edition from the early mid seventies.
Hello and :welcome: to the forum.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Difficult to say. The derailleur, shifter, brake calipers, etc aren't original for that era. The 531 decals on the forks aren't original as CB never placed them there in 1962 or 1963, so it may or may not be 531.

If we assume it is 531 (all models other than the Coureur and Super Coureur were 531 that year) then it is most likely a Challenge. This would fit with the location of the cable guides towards the underside of the top tube. Also, the Challenge was available in red, so while we'll never be certain I reckon thats a safe bet.

Can't be sure from the images, but are they Wolber rims? They'd be from a later bike as well. The frame, forks, chainset and possibly the stem/bars all appear original.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Evening

I would suggest that is a mid 70's bike
You can get an indication of the era by looking at the olympic decal on the frame. If its 5 colours on thrpe rings its late 70s or older After that it went 3 colours on the rings to save a few shekels on printing costs.

The decal on the frame has gold on the olympic ring, so its 5 colour, mid 70's or older.

Gunk

Guru
I agree with @Drago it looks like a later bike. The colour scheme is too modern. This was my 1962 Super Coureur, as you can see the colour scheme and bands just look a bit more old fashioned.

OP
OP
V

Vintagekieron

Difficult to say. The derailleur, shifter, brake calipers, etc aren't original for that era. The 531 decals on the forks aren't original as CB never placed them there in 1962 or 1963, so it may or may not be 531.

If we assume it is 531 (all models other than the Coureur and Super Coureur were 531 that year) then it is most likely a Challenge. This would fit with the location of the cable guides towards the underside of the top tube. Also, the Challenge was available in red, so while we'll never be certain I reckon thats a safe bet.

Can't be sure from the images, but are they Wolber rims? They'd be from a later bike as well. The frame, forks, chainset and possibly the stem/bars all appear original.
They are Mavic wheels but they are dated 73.

Top Bottom