Clean and Service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david1701

Right, tomorrow I'm swapping on a new chain as my old one is shagged and while I was there my plan was to clean and regrease everything (keeping all degreasers as far away from that chain as poss grrrrr)

All the other drivetrain components look fine, but filthy, whats the best way to get them thoroughly clean, I was debating a soak in petrol/degreaser and then a good scrub followed by a very very thorough clean water rinse to get it away from the new chain (I killed the old one by degreasing it and not really oiling it, so am paranoid).

Is it worth taking off the cranks so I can swap the direction of the chain rings or should I do that when my bike needs a new cassette so they happen in sync?

Rambly NYE post. apologies

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Degreasing is just foreplay. Regreasing is the business.

I'm a degreaser, a hot soapy washdowner, a hot rinser, followed by a thorough session of regreasery.

I'm more successful with bikes though...

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
Clutch and brake cleaner spray and then washing up liquid and hot water. I cut up old clothes I don't wear anymore for cleaning rags especially if they are cotton to wipe everything clean.

OP
OP
D

david1701

Lol, no real lbs so need to do all my own work.

What regreasing is there to do on the drivetrain if the chain has all its factory grease on it along with some extra oil?

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Yes, check my location, please

Ahhhhh :thumbsup:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If the chain is dead, expect the sprockets to be also - new cassette or freewheel likely to be needed. You'll know, new chain and it will jump about when under pressure.

Top Bottom