Clean inline gear indicator?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Svendo

Guru
I have on my commuter bike a DuraAce 7800 inline gear indicator (see picture) 578210

, which I use all the time. Over the years the red bead has got quite mucky and difficult to see, especially in low light. Last cable change I tried flushing it out with GT85 and vigorous agitation but that’s not really done much. Any ideas on if you can get the tapering ends off without breaking them so I can fish the bead out and clean it?

I know these indicators are a bit marmite. But as I usually end up running the drive train into the ground, and deeply grooving the alloy hub bodies on the wheels, my shifting is more often than not a bit iffy so knowing which gear I should be in is very useful. Even when they are working well I find it’s handy not t have to look down and back when in commuter traffic.

Ajax Bay

Guru
on night rides, I've come up with the idea for little miniature floodlights to light up my gears.
Off topic: On night rides I use one of those little lights strapped to the seat tube low down (just above FD) to illuminate the cassette. Works a treat. Only push-switch it on when I feel the need; not normally. But I leave it there. Doubles as an emergency 'be seen' front light , in the 'second spare' slot.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I don't think I ever really look at mine, I just change up or down to to keep a decent cadence. if I'm on the 2x11 I'll knock it down to the little ring approaching or so far into a hill to make sure I'm not cross chaining, I might occasionally glance down at the front rings to check which I'm in. On the 1x10 it just a question of nudging the bar end.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If you know someone with an ultrasonic cleaner you could give that ago. A bit of degreaser /detergent added might shift it. I have one, but am miles from you.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've just blasted out the grit and crud out of my full suspension's drive side BB with brake cleaner. Sparkling now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Svendo

Svendo

Guru
Thanks for the input. I’ll give the electrical contact spray a go as I’ve got some of that. Failing that I can get a NOS one if I make it worse/ break it with excessive fiddling.

Top Bottom