Cleaning carbon forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I dare say there are, but washing up liquid poses no problems and brings them up as good as new.

kyuss

Veteran
Don't use Muc Off. After the first wash I was horrified to find my lovely black carbon bike had turned a dark grey. It turned back to black over the following day or two and I have since been assured that no damage was done, but I never trusted it again.

I used to use washing up liquid myself but was recently advised against it as it contains salt and can dull paintwork and lacquer over time.

I now use a mild car shampoo and it works a treat.

Keith Oates

Janner
Water and elbow grease, that's all I've used on my bikes with carbon forks and they are looking like new. Mind you I do this after almost every ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rustychisel

Water and elbow grease, a damp cloth.

due to the lacquer which is used a little WD40 on a rag does no harm, and will leave a nice oily sheen on there for a little rain protection.
Furniture polish is also not too bad.

Mr Phoebus

I polish them with Auto-Glym (the forks too) helps protect the lacquer against road salt.

Blue

Legendary Member
rustychisel said:
Water and elbow grease, a damp cloth.

due to the lacquer which is used a little WD40 on a rag does no harm, and will leave a nice oily sheen on there for a little rain protection.

I do the same, just using a specific bike-shine product that is probably a variation of a WD40 type product.

I clean my bike with baby wipes - they're great at getting oil and stains off the bike (and chain and hands !).

The DIY wipes from Aldi are also good tho a bit expensive at 2.99/100 - again great for cleaning a chain and gears etc. Never ever used soap and water. Just baby wipes and the Aldi wipes. Try them........pukka !

Mortiroloboy

I think this Q has been asked before. Personally I use a good quality car shampoo and polish with Mr Sheen,always start at the top of the bike and work your way down, works for me ! Then the usual lube on the drivetrain, currently I'm using some stuff called Finish Line Pro Road, seems OK.

redfox

I have used Muc-Off on my carbon forks many times without any noticeable side effect. Should I be concerned about a side effect of the unnoticed variety?

Road Fiddler

Silicon based furniture polish is great, it helps water to shed from the bike in the rain, if you have steel nuts on your bike it protects them from rust, it lubes the cables and helps to protect them. Just dont get it on your rims or break blocks.

Top Bottom