Cleaning chain/cassettes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
When I moved jobs last year, my colleagues had a whip round & got me a bike tool kit & muck off set, so I want to put them to some good use.

I had a connex link fitted recently & figured I should take advantage & clean up the chain/mech area of my bike as it looks a bit gunky.

How would you recommend going about it?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
More often than once a year for a start :laugh:
Here's a video to start you off.

mangid

Guru
Method I've settled on:

Run chain thru piece of paper towel to remove excess cruddy oil.
Run chain thru wet wipe (ones I use are surprisingly good degreasers) wipe chain ring and sprocket.
If it's one of the geared bikes then another wet wipe run thru each gap to make the cassette sparkle, and the wipe the jockey wheels.
Leave to dry (if in a hurry then another piece of paper towel).
Lube

Never bother taking the chain off anymore, will clean after a wet dirty ride, and after couple hundred miles otherwise.

uclown2002

Guru
Method I've settled on:

Run chain thru wet wipe (ones I use are surprisingly good degreasers) wipe chain ring and sprocket.
If it's one of the geared bikes then another wet wipe run thru each gap to make the cassette sparkle, and the wipe the jockey wheels.
Lube

Never bother taking the chain off anymore, will clean after a wet dirty ride, and after couple hundred miles otherwise.
+1
Pretty much my method too.

JamesTaylor02

Method I've settled on:

Lube

Which wet wipes are these? I'm pedantic cleaning my cassette so it'd be nice to get into the niggly bits!

Big Nick

I got one of them chain scrubber tools which wasn't cheap but is quite effective

I then remove the rear wheel, spray the cassette with degreaser and scrub, the whole process only takes a few minutes

Then a quick rinse with water, dry off and a chain relube

How often I do it varies on conditions and time of year and if it looks 'gunky'!!

mangid

Guru
Which wet wipes are these? I'm pedantic cleaning my cassette so it'd be nice to get into the niggly bits!

One of the benefits of having kids was discovering these ;-)

IDShot_225x225.jpg

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I must admit I stopped buying them when they grew a little older and then realised I used them on other things too, just at a much lower rate.

mangid

Guru
You cam clean a whole bike with just a few babywipes... awesome things.

Babywipes, followed by Mr Sheen.

Mr Sheen, now that's just OCD.

Babywipes, even the muckiest days on the Busway are no competition, bike is sparkling in just a few minutes while the coffee brews.

Top Bottom