Cleaning chain, chain ring etc?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

soulful dog

Veteran
First of all, hello from another newbie! Been lurking for a while and enjoying reading the forum (and am now riding my bike with a more suitable seat height thanks to you guys - which my back really appreciates).

I know next to nothing about bikes, am not mechanically minded at all (can't even fix a puncture without help - though to be fair I've only had one so far), and so would appreciate some advice on what to do about cleaning the chain and all it's associated bits on my bike.

I bought an old second hand Claud Butler Odyssey a few months ago and had a basic service carried out at a LBS to make sure everything was ok with it, which it was (except for having to replace both tires). However, when I went to pick it up and saw my bike standing next to all the others awaiting collection, I noticed the chain etc looked seriously grotty compared to the rest of the bikes.

I wouldn't have a clue how to remove the rear wheel and really get in to clean it all properly, and although I've had a go with some citrus degreaser, an old brush and some rags, it's not really made much difference. Also, a couple of the gears are a bit sticky and I'm presuming this might be why (or is that the gear cables?).

After spending the cash on a service & new tyres, I'm not really keen to spend another £40 going back to the LBS for another service that includes cleaning - at least not for a while anyway! But since I'm pretty clueless, is that my best option, or can anyone advise me on how easy it should be to clean, and what I'd need to do the job properly?

RedBike

Get a rag and start wiping them. If they're dry use a bit of GT85 or a degreaser.

Once they're reasonably clean then you can use a chain cleaner

briank

Hm, so a couple of your gears are a "bit sticky"? Not sure what you mean by that, unless you mean that you move the lever but the chain doesn't immediately move across. Assuming (again) that we're taalking rear derailleur here, the question is this: Is the chain reluctant to climb up onto a bigger rear sprocket or reluctant to drop down to a smaller one? If the former which is more likely then you need to increase the tension in the rear gear cable: somewhere between the lever and the rear mech there is a screwed adjuster - probably more than one - which you nedd to screw OUT a turn or so.

However, if you then clean your chain, chances are you'll have to fiddle with it again.

Really, you're on the horns of a dilemma many of us have perched on: you've bought a cheap bike which needs some knowledgable TLC to run as well as you (now) realise it should. If you can'/won't pay someone else, you'll have to learn how to do it yourself.
And really, one of the delights of being into bikes is that (almost) anyone can become competent at fettling 'em, so long as they're willing.
You're plainly willng!

Best buy a large tub of Swarfega:smile:

Keith Oates

Janner
It depends how bad the chain is to start with but I find that a regular wash of the chain with rag and water followed by a light oiling keeps it going for a long time. I must admit by 'regular' I mean after most rides and with a chain that is not really 'gummed up' to start with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jely

depending on where you are based... here's another link for a bike maintenance course in London. http://www.cycletraining.co.uk/training/individual_training.php#maintenance

I just did it on saturday and it was really informative - ie. gives you a run down on cleaning your bike, checking it over, replacing break pads, repairing punctures, replacing break and gear cables, etc etc... it's just a basic course but it gives you everything you need.

it's an all day course ... and there's a chance you can get it subsidised, especially if you work in the city - i only paid around £8.

Hugo15

Über Member

jashburnham

dodgy

I used to be a proponent of scrubbing the chain every few rides with an old dish/pan brush and some muc-off or similar (I actually use FS-1). But now I find it much easier to simply wipe the chain after every ride with a rag, do it fairly thoroughly before applying new lube (to the inside face of the chain - the bit where the chain contacts the cogs and rigns) and wipe the excess off on the outside face. This takes about 2 minutes and means I have a clean chain virtually all the time and there's not much mess, also, less muck gets thrown off the chain and onto the braking surfaces of the rim.

Dave.

OP
OP
soulful dog

soulful dog

Veteran
Thanks for the links and advice everyone, some good reading there, much appreciated.

I think wiping the chain down and then using a chain cleaner is probably what I'll do (didn't realise you just clipped it onto the chain). In the link RedBike posted, should I discount something like the Icetoolz Chain Cleaner as being so cheap it probably won't do a very good job and just go for the Park Tools Chain Cleaner?

briank, your assumptions about my description of sticky gears is exactly right, and it's when it's dropping down the three smallest cogs on the rear derailleur (mainly the last two) that it happens. I'm hoping a proper clean will help that, or is it related to the gear cable?

I've just bought a couple of things from edinburghbicycle.com and noticed their maintenance courses, pity they don't have any in Glasgow! If I don't find anything local, I will certainly have a think about it as even though I'm more of a leisure cyclist (can't commute even if I was willing to go out every day despite the wind - is it just because I'm so unfit I hate it so much?!), I would like to be able to take basic care of my bike even if I leave everything else to my LBS.

One final daft question, for lube, what's the difference between using something like Halfords Bike Lubricant and GT-85?

Top Bottom