cleaning chain, how often?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr Mag00

rising member
So how often should i carry out this operation, should i use a chain cleaner and degreaser?

I notice from some threads that gt85 is not suitable as a lube, fair enough i have proper chain lube, i just done know how often i need to clean, degrease and lube my chain.

Stwutter

If it's dry, every couple of weeks'll do. If you've hit a few puddles and some light stuff, weekly. If it's p*****d down, straight after the ride's a good idea. That go's for the whole drive-train, not just the chain.

What stutter said.

I use a chain brush, small paint brush, hot water, washing up liquid, rinse with hot water, followed by WD40 to lift the water, then chain lube.

Doesn't take long when you get a routine down and it really makes a difference to your ride and the longevity of your bike.

Danny

Legendary Member
mr Mag00 said:
its my mountain bike and up to 4 times a week, so muddy dirty quite hard riding, well it seems it still!!!

Perhaps we could have a sticky on chain cleaning (and the perils of using WD40) as this seems to come up at least once a month.

monnet

Guru
I just wipe mine down and give it a spray with gt85 every few rides, and always after it's got wet. I've got a good 9000k out of a 105 chain with this method before it stretching to the point where it needs replacing. I wouldn't recommend wd40 - it's a water dispersent so it gets into all the moving parts causing the chain links to loosen and the chain to stretch.

Top Bottom