1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cleaning chain, how often?

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by mr Mag00, 4 Apr 2008.

1. mr Mag00

mr Mag00 rising member

So how often should i carry out this operation, should i use a chain cleaner and degreaser?

I notice from some threads that gt85 is not suitable as a lube, fair enough i have proper chain lube, i just done know how often i need to clean, degrease and lube my chain.

2. Stwutter

Stwutter New Member

If it's dry, every couple of weeks'll do. If you've hit a few puddles and some light stuff, weekly. If it's p*****d down, straight after the ride's a good idea. That go's for the whole drive-train, not just the chain.

3. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

What stutter said.

I use a chain brush, small paint brush, hot water, washing up liquid, rinse with hot water, followed by WD40 to lift the water, then chain lube.

Doesn't take long when you get a routine down and it really makes a difference to your ride and the longevity of your bike.

4. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

It depends what you do between proper cleans. There have been times when I've that running the chain through a babywipe and giving it a bit of a lube has increased the time between necessary proper scrubs.

5. geopat

geopat Über Member

Is "Bike Spray" suitable as a chain lube?

6. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

You missed out two important bits of information. What do you use your bike for? And how often?

7. mr Mag00

mr Mag00 rising member

its my mountain bike and up to 4 times a week, so muddy dirty quite hard riding, well it seems it still!!!

8. Danny

Danny Legendary Member

Perhaps we could have a sticky on chain cleaning (and the perils of using WD40) as this seems to come up at least once a month.

9. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

I'd probably do it weekly or more if it is that dirty.

I do the 'cross bikes after every race.

10. monnet

monnet Über Member

I just wipe mine down and give it a spray with gt85 every few rides, and always after it's got wet. I've got a good 9000k out of a 105 chain with this method before it stretching to the point where it needs replacing. I wouldn't recommend wd40 - it's a water dispersent so it gets into all the moving parts causing the chain links to loosen and the chain to stretch.

11. Jacomus-rides-Gen

Jacomus-rides-Gen New Member

OMG not again.

12. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

You don't have to read it if you don't want to.

Know-how is here so people can ask questions and hopefully get answers to them.

'course, you know it all.