Cleaning concrete.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

longers said:
If the hosepipe stays defrosted long enough I need to clean my back yard.
Two summers of run off from the planters and pots has given the crazy laid concrete a nice slippery green sheen. It's laid in a rustic style and isn't all that smooth but is getting dodgy.

I used to buy product from the garden centre but as CC is the font of all most knowledge - is there a pet friendly home brew recipe that's nice and cheap you know of?

Sorry Longers - but I can just see you kneeling down with a brillo pad, a bowl of water & some washing up liquid ! ;)

Sorry :sad:

Rather than a jetwash... could you get hold of one :smile:

Night Train

Maker of Things
I reckon the most eco friendly method would be to use a scrubbing brush and rain water. No chemicals, no processed water and no electricity.;)

Weegie

Rigid Raider said:
Use brick cleaner, spread it around and rinse off in a few minutes with the hose, the water dilutng the hydrochloric acid to the point where it's less acidic than what many people use to clean their loos.

Or:

Use an electric jetwash, which will take an hour as you laboriously work your way back and forth with the narrow jet, while irritating your neighbours with the noise.

....which one is least environmentally friendly?

You've got to be kidding, right? Most brick cleaner is muriatic acid, and to quote from another website...

Muriatic acid is a highly reactive liquid acid, and one of the most dangerous chemicals you can buy for home use. It is an industrial-strength solution of hydrogen chloride gas dissolved in water, also known as hydrochloric acid. Yep, muriatic acid is "super stomach acid"! With the exception of some plastics, muriatic acid can damage most anything it touches, including clothing, metal, and skin! It emits a suffocating odor that can quickly burn the lining of the nose, throat and even the lungs.

OK, brick cleaner available to the general public is probably diluted somewhat, but still, I wouldn't want that sh1t anywhere near my family, pets or property. I'd much spend a couple of hours with a pressure washer and plain water. (And who the hell gets annoyed by the sound of a pressure washer? If your neighbours complain about something petty like that, then sod'em ;))

Sun Superlight

I use a weak solution of caustic soda crystals dissolved in hot water to clean my concrete drive. It shifts dirt, algae and oil stains.
It's cheap and does a good job, but it's not plant or pet friendly.
Use a large watering can to apply it (it's best after it's been raining when the drive is already wet) leave for one hour and wash off with plenty more water from a hose.
Wear old clothes and goggles in case of splashes.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
vernon said:
I'm sure that tool hire centres have them available.

I've got a couple of Uncles nearby to tap up before things get that serious Vernon.

GrasB said:
What sort of area are you talking about?

It's only 20m sq patch so shouldn't take long and will get me warm while scrubbing.

While out and about today I saw a little pack of concentrate from EverBuild for 2 quid that apparently doesn't need scrubbing off and is petsafe when dry and could be brushed onto the woody bits that are also green. Might go back for one :biggrin:

Top Bottom