Cleaning concrete.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
If the hosepipe stays defrosted long enough I need to clean my back yard.
Two summers of run off from the planters and pots has given the crazy laid concrete a nice slippery green sheen. It's laid in a rustic style and isn't all that smooth but is getting dodgy.

I used to buy product from the garden centre but as CC is the font of all most knowledge - is there a pet friendly home brew recipe that's nice and cheap you know of?

Weegie

I prefer a pressure washer for cleaning concrete - just using plain water, no chemical cleaning solution which could upset pets/plants.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
I like the idea of using plain water. You'd recommend this over using a deck scrub?
I can cadge a go on one if it's worth it.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
longers said:
I like the idea of using plain water. You'd recommend this over using a deck scrub?

I'm sure that tool hire centres have them available.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Use brick cleaner, spread it around and rinse off in a few minutes with the hose, the water dilutng the hydrochloric acid to the point where it's less acidic than what many people use to clean their loos.

Or:

Use an electric jetwash, which will take an hour as you laboriously work your way back and forth with the narrow jet, while irritating your neighbours with the noise.

....which one is least environmentally friendly?

RR's brick cleaner is probably what I would do...the rain, sleet and snow is as good a neutraliser as any. :thumbsup: It's also good exercise for the lapsed cyclist...:ohmy:

With the jetwash you can use just water longers, but try and get the rotating attachment that comes with...makes life as a scrubber easier.
213nU-FjPtL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

This sort of thing.

Attachments

• 213nU-FjPtL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    213nU-FjPtL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 10

Slowgrind

Don't use brick acid! Sounds like you were ok. with the stiff brush and water routine. What's up with that?

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
just to add another option... I'm sure we used J's fluid years ago.

not pet friendly when wet but does a good job.

GrasB

Veteran
What sort of area are you talking about? It takes about 20min to clear a 15x25m patch using a pressure washer but I do that twice a year so I can use a fairly wide fan. If the surface has been neglected like yours then it'll take more time & I'd seriously consider using chemical cleaners for the first clean anyway.

TVC

Jet wash again, very satisfying and is gets the crud ans seeds out of any cracks. Plus it's great to play fountains with.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Jeyes Fluid Patio Cleaner - it kills off the algae (which makes the jet wash so much easier) and keeps the area clear for longer than an ordinary power wash.

thomas

the tank engine
longers said:

Always used to use it on our old deck to clean the filth off....be careful of the settings though. Our one could cut through wood!!!

Top Bottom