Shoe cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
No they are rubbish.

I have a shoe clean kit with kiwi hence I need some kind of mat or a divorce looms
Kitchen roll? Alternatively, a cheap rubber mat from B&M or the likes.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
never been too sure what brothel creepers are to be honest - just love the name - didn't they have crepe soles or something?
Personally I favour leather - lasts if cared for.

(edit - I do have some blue suede doc marten boots - had for decades - barely worn - cleaning/preservation tips welcomed)
1642708357671.png

roley poley

Über Member
After a good rub on the doormat, i take the lid off the pedal bin and brush them cleaner with an old toothbrush the next day when it's a bit dryer

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My MTB boots can 'stink' if they aren't dried properly - the neoprene cuff stinks, not the shoe. They are fairly waterproof (goretex) but water does get in via your legs eventually. Certainly can't bring them in the house when full of mud. Usually have to hose off then wipe, and then pop them in the airing cupboard to dry. I'm currently using an old dehumidifier in the garage, so I pop the boots on top of that and they are dry within 24 hours.

bagpuss

Guru
Tell you what. I'm sure google monitors stuff. I've just had an advert come up on Instagram for a boot cleaning brush that you fill with water. :eek:
So you have not had the brothel add......This one .

1642766350718.png

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Random question, if you don’t buy a newspaper what do you use to clean your shoes over?
are you suggesting you use a newspaper instead of brush/ cloth/ polish? in which case that's a bit left field?

as a youngster i was always told to clean them over newspaper so polish didn't spill on the floor / carpet etc

newspaper is also good for stuffing into wet boots / trainers to dry them out.

the brush strip on the side of the london underground escalators was always useful for a last minute shine of your oxford toes caps on the way into work.

OP
OP
G

GetFatty

Über Member
are you suggesting you use a newspaper instead of brush/ cloth/ polish? in which case that's a bit left field?

as a youngster i was always told to clean them over newspaper so polish didn't spill on the floor / carpet etc

newspaper is also good for stuffing into wet boots / trainers to dry them out.

the brush strip on the side of the london underground escalators was always useful for a last minute shine of your oxford toes caps on the way into work.
No not as a replacement for the brush but my upbringing was the same, clean your shoes over a piece of newspaper to stop polish, mud etc landing on the floor

As I am retired, I very rarely wear shoes that take polish, but I cover the worktop with freebie local paper for such occasions.

If I'm not wearing trainers, my walking shoes and my dealer boots both require clear " shoe grease" from Decathlon. Not as messy as polish!

Top Bottom