Can I use my regular shoes for cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adamburns944

Hey everyone, I have recently started cycling and was just wondering if someone here has any experience cycling with non-cycling shoes. I've got a pair of Vivobarefoot trainer but I'm not quite sure if they'll do the job. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Yes of course you can use ordinary shoes. You can wear ordinary clothes too if you like.

I used to have Vivobarefoot trainers and I rode many miles in them. Of course it depends a bit on your pedals. If you have the type that need to be clipped to the shoe then you need the right sort of shoe. I wouldn't ride in anything with very shiny soles that might slip off the pedals and I've never ridden in high heels though I did meet a lady who did!

If you're just starting out I'd go with whatever feels comfortable for you. There's no need to spend a fortune on special stuff. Enjoy your bike and add kit and equipment as you need it.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Don't see why not. I've been wearing thick soled slip on Hobos from Shoezone for some years now and the've been comfortable on and off the bike. Unless you want to start using clip in shoes or have a peer group that is image conscious anything that has reasonably stiff soles would do the job. I have even been known to wear sandals in the summer.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Hey everyone, I have recently started cycling and was just wondering if someone here has any experience cycling with non-cycling shoes. I've got a pair of Vivobarefoot trainer but I'm not quite sure if they'll do the job. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you have normal platform pedals you can wear whatever shoes you choose.
Enjoy your cycling.

Sure you can, no worries.

I regularly commute to work on my bike wearing steel capped work boots...

C R

Guru
Yes indeed, provided...

a) you have feet upon which to wear them...

and...

b) they aren't 6" stilettos, 4" platform soles, football boots, etc.

Oh yes you can

1713420902187.png

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I cycled to work for eight years in my safety boots but make sure the laces are secured as you don’t want ‘em getting in the chain which can be embarrassing when you stop and fall over.

The same goes for all lace up shoes. My fancy-dan cycling shoes are lace up and I've had an awkward moment or two with them. There's a velcro thingy for tidying up the laces, but if I'm careless and let them escape ...

Top Bottom