Shoe cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
By the by, does anyone believe in the sort of "paint-on" shoe polish thingies?

can't help but think that there's no substitute for good old simple polish, Kiwi or whatever.

OP
OP
G

GetFatty

Über Member
By the by, does anyone believe in the sort of "paint-on" shoe polish thingies?

can't help but think that there's no substitute for good old simple polish, Kiwi or whatever.
No they are rubbish.

I have a shoe clean kit with kiwi hence I need some kind of mat or a divorce looms

PapaZita

Guru
We don't buy a paper, and don't get a free one. When we did, there was always a supply available for shoe cleaning, general DIY uses, and placing under the cat when the hairball warning goes off. These days, I keep the brown paper that comes in Amazon packages.

not had any of those since 1976, i'm more a Desert Boot, Goretex /Nubuck walking boot, Converse baseball boot kind of fella. I do have a pair of black 'Oxford' shoes for smart but they've been supplanted by my black Suede Dune ankle boots.
never been too sure what brothel creepers are to be honest - just love the name - didn't they have crepe soles or something?
Personally I favour leather - lasts if cared for.

(edit - I do have some blue suede doc marten boots - had for decades - barely worn - cleaning/preservation tips welcomed)

presta

Guru
Shoes: Apply Kiwi polish with one shoe brush, then shine with another.
Walking boots: Wash with a scrubbing brush, then apply liquid Nikwax with a paint brush.
Trainers: Nothing, but the washing machine handbook says you can put them in there.

OP
OP
G

GetFatty

Über Member
We don't buy a paper, and don't get a free one. When we did, there was always a supply available for shoe cleaning, general DIY uses, and placing under the cat when the hairball warning goes off. These days, I keep the brown paper that comes in Amazon packages.
And the winner is… that’s exactly the kind of idea I was hoping for

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I have a simple rule. I use a cloth to apply shoe cream when in my kitchen. When using brushes to apply shoe polish where tiny flecks of the stuff fly here and there I do it outside away from my front door, in case little bits of polish get walked in.

Top Bottom