cleaning disc brakes with white spirit ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

The red rubber grease is usually made by Castrol or Fuch's (Silkoline)

People flogging it in ebay in small jars. It is used all the time by hydraulic engineers to keep things moving (as that is effectively what a brake system is), and stops the moisture getting in behind the seals. It is based on veg oil. Using it stretches the brake serviciing out to years and makes the brakes a lot more progresssive as it helps it all to slide easily.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18g-Castr...t=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item1e6d1c5b18

Linford

.... on the disc rotors of your bicycle?

My old clunker has rubber V blocks. I''ll happily use the stuff to degrease whatever.

It is easy to get a greasy fingerprint on a rotor when manhandling motorbike wheels as they carry a bit of weight and are fiddly to align the spindles, spacers, sprocket carrier and calipers when sticking all back together.

green1

Über Member
The problem with using any oil based fuel as a cleaner or using copperslip is that it makes rubber swell.
Not necassairly, it depends on the compound of rubber is used. If it did all the downhole oil tools I design wouldn't work.

Linford

Not necassairly, it depends on the compound of rubber is used. If it did all the downhole oil tools I design wouldn't work.

It is certainly the case in master and slave cylinder seals. THere is also a product made by comma which is a distilate, and is designed to make car windscreen seals swell to stop leaks when they begin the perish. I've got a can of it somewhere as well.

My missus works with someone who's o/h works for sperrey sun (sp) He does all the electronics in the business end of the drills IIRC

screenman

Legendary Member
Most car windscreens these days do not have seals, sounds like you have a can of snake oil there Linford.

Top Bottom