Cleaning disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
brake cleaner. does exactly what it says on the can.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Not tried it personally, but a couple of bike shops told me I could use Cola or unfragranced alcholic hand rub as substitute if I didn't have the brake cleaner.

Howard

spence said:
Methalated spirit would be an alternative if no brake cleaner to hand.

Out of interest, what's wrong with warm soapy water? On the proviso that you wipe the disc dry after cleaning.

e-rider

crappy member
Yes, methalated spirit; but NOT white spirit as this leaves a residue behind which you don't want on your rotors.

Methalated spirit is toxic so read the label - it can have very serious effects such as blindness so don't drink it, breathe the vapours or have contact with the skin.

e-rider

crappy member
Howard said:
Out of interest, what's wrong with warm soapy water? On the proviso that you wipe the disc dry after cleaning.

warm soapy water will not be as good at removing oil and grease that might have got onto the brakes from the drivechain (esp. the rear one)

ChrisKH

Guru
tundragumski said:
Yes, methalated spirit; but NOT white spirit as this leaves a residue behind which you don't want on your rotors.

Methalated spirit is toxic so read the label - it can have very serious effects such as blindness so don't drink it, breathe the vapours or have contact with the skin.

Bugger, i'm going to die soon. I'm always getting Meths on me hands. Is it that toxic? :biggrin:

Howard

tundragumski said:
warm soapy water will not be as good at removing oil and grease that might have got onto the brakes from the drivechain (esp. the rear one)

That makes sense, cheers - will consider a tougher cleaner if the discs are particularly crufty.

Top Bottom