Cleaning MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi.

I have just purchased a TREK 6500.
What is the best way for me to clean the bike, I live in an apartment so cleaning is not very easy.

It is ok to use a car/pressure washer from the garage very carefully?
It would be easiest for me to do as living in the apartment does not make it easy!

the PB.

GilesM

Legendary Member
The car pressure washers are a bit too high pressure for bikes, they tend to blast all the good grease out of the important places, do you have any outside space where you can clean the worst of the dirt off.

mr Mag00

rising member
i used to clean mine in the bath when i lived in an apartment, carry it upstairs so to not get the floor dirty. it lived in the apartment too

OP
OP
T

thepolarbear

very good post, i should clean it in the bath with the shower, thats very inventive indeed!
cleaning outside is a hassle due to going up and down in lift, leaving it outside when it could get stolen etc.

FrankM

If she's not there when you clean the bike, you can always not to 'fess up.

C

chillyuk

Seeing my bike a bit grubby the other day I was very tempted to pop into one of those hand car wash places that I pass on my way home.

I wonder what the reaction would have been.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Bucket of hot water with car shampoo and a soft-bristled brush of the type that comes with a dustpan. Finish by running the chain through and old cloth and re-lubing, ride around to dry out the brakes then dry the fork slides then drip a little light oil onto the seals. Done.

Debian

I LOVE the shower / bath idea :rofl:, SWMBO would have a fit! :biggrin:

I use a home pressure washer mainly and I've never found it to cause a problem. I use it at slightly less than max pressure and don't aim it directly at any bearings. It's great for removing thick mud from the mountain bike and only takes five minutes.

Relube everything afterwards and it should be tickety-boo.

Top Bottom