Cleaning/polishing matt paint finish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjgraham86

Über Member
My brand new Corratec trekking bike (to be used for the first time this weekend!) has a matt dark grey finish on the frame.

I'm keen to give it some kind of protection from the elements before I go out but I have no idea what sort of products so as not to tarnish the matt finish.

Anyone got any thoughts ?

P

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just use car shampoo - you can't wax it as it will look a right mess. Mr Sheen is good, but you may loose the matt finish a little.

gbb

Legendary Member
Jonathan M said:
GT 85 adds a little sheen without loosing the matt finish. Smells nice too! I use it on my matt black Ribble.

I used to use WD40 on machinery, then wipe off with a towel. It does give a sheen.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Anything oily or waxy will give the matt finish a slight sheen, but it will still look very nice. Even if you do nothing the paint won't tarnish or fade for many years, don't worry.

Wax car polish is best if you want the frame to stay smart for longer. It's easier to apply to a bike if you get it in a spray form but be sure not to get any on the braking surfaces - hang the frame up if you can with the wheels removed.

Top Bottom