Cleaning Protocol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I just bought a new shiny roadie and (unlike my good ol MTB) I feel the need to keep it looking pretty.

plus I'm sure its good practice...sorry I should have mentioned that first shouldn't I?

So, Whats the best cleaning protocol?

I'm used to cleaning a motorcycle and assume things are pretty similar so here is my MOTORCYCLE cleaning regime

Drive chain
Remove real wheel, de-grease the chain and sprockets (something like WD40), wipe clean (or brush and wipe clean), cut of the de-greaser with a very soapy solution, allow to dry then relube each link of the chain with a dry oil and a small amount of dry oil to the sproket (cassette in this instance)...I'm not sure about oiling the cassette on a pushbike

Frame
Degreaser (Muckoff or similar) then wipe and wash off with a soapy solution. Allow to dry then spray on protective product (ACF 50)

Wheels
As with frame but ensuring no oil-like products are used to degrease (stick to citrus products), remove with a soapy solution and add no protective product

I assume i'll need to do the following for a push bike.

Gears
Degrease front and rear mech's and remove with soapy solution, allow to dry and add wet oil (gt85)

I really have no idea as I;'ve only ridden MTB's in the past and for years have just jetted them off and sprayed lube all over. it's only when I used to trim the indexing that I ever got around to lubing the groupset.

But as I'm starting over (and using the nubike a lot more) I need to ensure she is well maintained.

any thoughts?

Thanks

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
...Waits for Ian and fossy to barge in through the door with collections of lube, degreaser, babywipes and rags...

Hope you're enjoying the time out with the new bike! I shall leaving cleaning recommendations to the 'experts'..
whistling.gif

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Bring it round at the weekend Jonny..and TT, you can bring yours, I can get ILB's over and Arallsopp.. we can do a mass cleaning session..

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
...Waits for Ian and fossy to barge in through the door with collections of lube, degreaser, babywipes and rags...

Hope you're enjoying the time out with the new bike! I shall leaving cleaning recommendations to the 'experts'..
whistling.gif

Never used, never needed....

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Bring it round at the weekend Jonny..and TT, you can bring yours, I can get ILB's over and Arallsopp.. we can do a mass cleaning session..

Which one do you want me to bring? The commuter is still having problems! I have heard about your cleaning sessions!

I have Herne Hill this Sunday and trapeze on Saturday - still haven't gotten out on the fixed gear bike yet or pumped up the tyres...!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Some of what you write but less emphasis on the degreasers, the bike won't need them. Buy a soft long-bristled hand floor brush like the ones that come with a dustpan. Fill a bucket with hot water and car shampoo and give the whole bike a good wash with this, you'll find the brush perfect for getting into nooks and crannies and doing the wheels.

Dry it off with a soft cloth.

Next comes the important bit: open the brakes and clean the faces of the blocks thoroughly by slipping a rag behind them. Even take the pads out and pick out any bits of grit embedded in the rubber; these will do more damage to those rims than anything else. Then go round the rims cleaning the braking surfaces with a damp cloth until they don't leave a black mark on a finger tip. At the same time you need to be inspecting those tyres closely for cuts and bits of embedded glass and debris - you will be doing 40 mph or more down hills and these are your only point of contact with the ground. Check the rims for true and check for loose spokes. Inspect the rims for cracks around the holes and the hubs around the flanges.

Dry the chain by puling it backwards through a soft rag then re-lube with something light and waxy like Finish Line.

Generally the cleaning session is a good opportunity to be checking, inspecting and adjusting the bike. You are entrusting your safety to this light machine so it needs to be in perfect condition.

Bman

Guru
My roadbike, I just clean it all over with babywipes. Starting with the chain and working my way around, dirtiest part first. Then relube.

Job done.

potsy

Rambler
I just bought a new shiny roadie and (unlike my good ol MTB) I feel the need to keep it looking pretty.

It won't last, fortunately :biggrin: first scratch and you may as well not bother, :thumbsup:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Sponge, water and car cleaner.

Chain - wipe with a rag, re-oil wipe. Sprockets - clean by running rag between sprockets. Old cotton t-shirts make good rags.

And for shine - Mr Sheen original !

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sponge, water and car cleaner.

Chain - wipe with a rag, re-oil wipe. Sprockets - clean by running rag between sprockets. Old cotton t-shirts make good rags.

And for shine - Mr Sheen original !

And that my friends is all there is too it...

Top Bottom