Cleaning Rear Cassette and Front Chain Rings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
Any tips for these? I Usually just wipe the rear cassette with a baby wipe / bit of paper towel in between the sprockets. I rarely clean the chain rings, just wipe the teeth every now and then (same with the jockey wheels).

There must be a more efficient way of doing this?
Any tips you'd like to share, products you've found to do an excellent job etc?

Thanks!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Bowl of white spirit. Pop off the cassette and chain rings, soak in the WS for a while. Let dry. polish up. Result = nice and sparkly clean. I also pop out the jockey wheels for the same treatment. It's amazing how much paste the JW gather up.

jimboalee

ianrauk said:
Bowl of white spirit. Pop off the cassette and chain rings, soak in the WS for a while. Let dry. polish up. Result = nice and sparkly clean. I also pop out the jockey wheels for the same treatment. It's amazing how much paste the JW gather up.

Next thread...

"What lube for jockey wheels?"

potsy

Rambler
Plax said:
Any tips for these? I Usually just wipe the rear cassette with a baby wipe / bit of paper towel in between the sprockets. I rarely clean the chain rings, just wipe the teeth every now and then (same with the jockey wheels).

There must be a more efficient way of doing this?
Any tips you'd like to share, products you've found to do an excellent job etc?

Thanks!
If by more efficient you mean quicker,then ignore any advice from ianr as you'll be there all day cleaning every nook and cranny with a fine tooth comb;)
I do similar to you,back wheel off maybe if I'm feeling energetic,cassette and chain sprayed with WD or similar and chain re-lubed.Maybe do this once a fortnight if I've got nothing better to do for 10 mins.;)

gbb

Legendary Member
Realistically, no-one else can do this, but i can clean the cassette (on the wheel) in about 10 seconds...liberal spray with WD40 then a high pressure airline blasts it spotlessly clean in seconds...mind it sprays the stuff everywhere else which takes 5 minutes to clean up :smile:

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
I don't have the patience to go as far as Ianruk. I suspect a work colleague does though as his bikes are usually gleaming and puts my efforts to shame!

potsy

Rambler
Plax said:
I don't have the patience to go as far as Ianruk. I suspect a work colleague does though as his bikes are usually gleaming and puts my efforts to shame!
Me neither Plax,usually start with good intentions then just think ah balls that'll do got the worst of it off:biggrin:
Our bikes at work vary from gleaming dry weather bikes only to some that only see lube once a year if they're lucky,I'm somewhere in the middle;)

Top Bottom