Cleaning Spokes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I recently bought a vintage bike which is in reasonable condition. The alloy rims are showing some light pitting but I expect autosol or similar will fettle that. The spokes however have a grey deposit coating them and I am not sure of the best way to tackle it. I am reluctant to use an abrasive because I seem to remember back in my youth I cleaned some spokes and almost overnight they rusted badly. I have tried rubbing vigorously with an oily rag and that removes the deposit and it does shine the spokes up to a point but in appearance they are still a grey colour ( more like pewter). My Question is, how do others tackle this problem. I suppose I could get the wheels re-spoked but I am not sure if we have anybody local who would undertake the work and I certainly do not have the skill. If I went down this road, what would the cost be?

compo

Veteran
A drop of oil on some wire wool to clean the spokes then polish off with something like autosol. You may never get them like new but a reasonable finish can be expected.

Galvanised spokes will go furry eventually and once the galvanising is compromised, then nothing you can do will bring the finish back. Polishing will improve the appearance for a short time, but then natural forces take over again. The only long term solution is to replace the spokes with new.

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

Pretty much what I thought! What sort of cost would I be looking at ?

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

Unfortunately I do not have the confidence or the skill to re-spoke wheels

Keith Oates

Janner
If you Google "cycle wheel building in Yorkshire" you will see quite a few places that can do them and you could choose the most convenient to your home or the cheapest.for a quotation !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

If you Google "cycle wheel building in Yorkshire" you will see quite a few places that can do them and you could choose the most convenient to your home or the cheapest.for a quotation !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Keith , I should have thought of that :blush:

e-rider

crappy member
the best way to clean spokes, is to remove them all, clean, then replace!

only joking, after reading the OP your only answer is to replace with new spokes.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
"Advice". If the spokes aren't rusty and aren't breaking, there's no need to replace. Stainless steel spokes are relatively recent invention and, for a long time, until the alloy was refined, had a reputation for brittleness.

bobg

Über Member
If you do chose to clean them with wire wool or something similar, beware the aluminium "dust", it gets in the lungs and wreaks havoc with your breathing

Top Bottom