Cleaning the bottom bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Funtboy

Hope this is not a daft question.

I'm replacing my crank-arm and having taken it off I notice that the bottom bracket looks a bit manky. I don't want to take it out but I would like to clean what I can get my hands on.

Can I just go in there with a brush and soap and clean it out without worrying. Would I lube it with grease or teflon style lube?

Cheers...

NickM

Veteran
we need to know what kind of bottom bracket it is - cup-and-cone, sealed cartridge, Hollowtech?

NickM

Veteran
In that case you won't be able to do more than clean the outside - it's sealed. I would just scrub the outside face with a toothbrush and some GT85 if it's really filthy (if not, I'd just leave it alone), and before installing a new crank I would polish the mating surfaces of the axle itself with metal polish wadding - Duraglit or the like.

OP
OP
Funtboy

Funtboy

NickM said:
In that case you won't be able to do more than clean the outside - it's sealed. I would just scrub the outside face with a toothbrush and some GT85 if it's really filthy (if not, I'd just leave it alone), and before installing a new crank I would polish the mating surfaces of the axle itself with metal polish wadding - Duraglit or the like.

Yeah I don't want to open it up. It just looks a bit dirty on the outside.
Cheers...

barq

Don't go too mad on it. :whistle: You don't want to go blasting solvents into it because although they are 'sealed' that is relative not absolute. The grease inside will be happier left alone - frankly I'd just wipe it with a rag.

Agreed - don't get the jetwash on it, don't slosh or pour lots of solvents all over it.

Basically though, the gunge is on the outside, the bearings are inside, it's sealed, so no problem if it's mucky.

If the amount of crap on it looks like it's making your super-lightweight bike heavy, or simply looks a mess, then by all means brush or wipe it off, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

OP
OP
Funtboy

Funtboy

Cheers all,

I had another look and just wiped the visible bit with a rag and left it. Job's a good'un...

Top Bottom