Cleaning the cleaning brushes!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Just cleaned my Jake ready for the LBS to do some cable maintenance etc.. but the thing that always gets me is how the hell do you clean the black gunk off your brushes after?! :wacko:

I've tried washing up liquid, degreasers (FS-1 plus assorted industrual strength ones from B&Q), car shampoo, swarfega.... Even tried to let it soak in for a couple of hours but nothing. Seems a waste to just buy new brushes. I'd end up with new ones every 8 weeks

Also, how many of you use a powerwasher on your bike? Is it safe, any tips? Thought it might knock some of the gunk off chainset before I start.

philhul

I haven't figured out how to clean brushes either, i just try to get as much muck off the bike using hands, old clothes, sponges etc before using the brushes to get into the harder to reach parts.

powerwashers shouldn't be used as various parts aren't designed to keep water out under such pressure.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
White spirit or petrol should work fine.

Never a power hose unless you want to fill BB, headset and wheel bearings and chain-pins with water.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Cheers everyone! I wont touch the powerwasher then! :biggrin:

I might try the white spirit. Only problem is the bristles are plastic thesedays on most of the car washing brushes it seems. :blush:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I binned my brushes and use baby wipes - unscented shops own brand ones.

They're excellent at removeing the grease and grime off the bike

zacklaws

Guru
I buy my brushes / sponges from "Instore" shops, designed for cars but very cheap, so I have brushes for oily parts and brushes for non oily parts so I do not have to worry about cleaning them.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I buy my brushes / sponges from "Instore" shops, designed for cars but very cheap, so I have brushes for oily parts and brushes for non oily parts so I do not have to worry about cleaning them.

Exactly the same here. Though one brush was found in the pound shop - amazing what chinese slave labour has brought us. :ohmy:

how to clean your cleaning brushes - that sounds like very middle class suburban behaviour!

I'm working class, LMAO! But I also come from an art back ground where I'd paint in oils, so it seems natural to reuse and look after them.

Top Bottom