Cleaning Wheel Rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Tynan said:
I've genuinely never ever washed a wheel rim in my entire life

And I'd never washed a chain until a few months ago, granted the chain and gears are running silky smooth now they're cleaned and oiled

got no real problem with the brakes though

Give it a go, it might just change your life.

NickM

Veteran
I dunno, I spent the best part of an hour* trying to get black crud off a cassette last night and it didn't change mine...

*degreaser? this stuff laughed at degreaser...

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I use soapy water, which a scrubbing brush. It soon cleans of all the dirt. I take the blocks off and clean them aswell with the same thing.
The scrubbing brush makes it quicker, and still gets it all off.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Tynan said:
I've genuinely never ever washed a wheel rim in my entire life
Just picked up my bike from the bike shop with its new wheels ... because until 3 months ago I didn't clean my rims:blush: ... and suddenly discovered how worn and concave they were - not instant danger but definately worn down. I got to the point where I was becoming afraid to brake hard downhill.

I am now converted :tongue: that at least in winter they need to be cleaned often - depending on the weather - wet or cold enough for salt will mean I give them a quick clean down, with the brush I leave next to the bucket in the back garden.

Tynan

Veteran
I judge the worthiness of a bike by riding it, I brake plenty on a commute and if they're not performing I do something about it, usually it's just adjusting, sometimes it's new pads, I've never cleaned the rims

I'm way past the wear line on the front pads now, waiting for the sound of metal, still braking well

I appreciate I'm the lo maintenance type on here but I honestly think there's some OCD going on with some of you lot, it's a bike, it's designed to be ridden, to get wet, to be exposed to grit and dirt

PrettyboyTim

The main advantage I can see of cleaning a wheel is that you won't get black crud all over your hands fi you're doing something to the back of the bike and you need to touch the wheel a lot while doing it.

The only time I ever cleaned my wheel was when I got fed up with all the mess it was making at the time. I don't clean them as a rule.

I used *winces* Cillit Bang to clean the rims of my commuter, they were encrusted with 20years of filth from my dad using it as a commuter and not cleaning them.

They came up a treat, though I would never touch my roadbike with Cillit Bang - Turtlewax car shampoo, followed by Turtlewax wax for my roadbike. Tesco washing up liquid for the commuter :tongue:

domtyler

Über Member
Baby wipes work very well.

ak88

I use baby wipes occasionally as its dead convenient and smells nice!

I read that you shouldn't use a degreaser to clean rims - but can't understand why (no reason was given). I would have thought a degreaser would be good as its gets rid of grime very very well and if your rims are grease free - the rubber friction would be loads better.

Blue

Legendary Member
I just use a wet brush then dry off with kitchen roll.

I don't want my wheels etc to last for ever - I like buying new bike gear. As it is, my minimum fuss system doesn't appear to be producing accelerated wear :ohmy:

Tynan said:
I judge the worthiness of a bike by riding it, I brake plenty on a commute and if they're not performing I do something about it, usually it's just adjusting, sometimes it's new pads, I've never cleaned the rims

I'm way past the wear line on the front pads now, waiting for the sound of metal, still braking well

I appreciate I'm the lo maintenance type on here but I honestly think there's some OCD going on with some of you lot, it's a bike, it's designed to be ridden, to get wet, to be exposed to grit and dirt

Waiting for the sound of metal!?!? Cripes!

Makes me feel quite ill thinking about it :ohmy:

Tynan

Veteran
never done it?

it's a very gradual thing indeed, anyway this is the bike that's in it's last few weeks of operations remember

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Mine got a wash with sponge and soapy water during January's wet weather - lots of road grit mixed with water didn't seem to me to be a good combination for longevity :blush: I cleaned the blocks too (brush and the same soapy water) as quite often the "channels" in the block would be gunked up too.

Top Bottom