Cleaning your bike during lunch time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

apb

Veteran
Hi,

Interested in hearing from anyone who cleans their bike during lunch at work and what stands, tools / products they use. My weekends are pretty full with family going ons and with the short days i don't get enough time to maintain my bike during the winter.

What i want to do is do the bulk of the servicing during my lunch hour, but I'm concerned that i will make a lot of mess etc.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
After a rainy commute I usually give the bike a rag down during my lunch break.
Doesn't take long to to and get's the bike relatively clean using babywipes and a rag.

No need for stands, bucket's of water or cleaning gear.

Reactions: gaz

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Let it dry then get at it with a small a brush, wipe the rims and brake pads with a baby wipe, same for the chain and job done!

D

Deleted member 26715

You get a lunch break! [Life of Brian Mode] You lucky lucky Bastard [/Life of Brian Mode]

Alan..

OP
OP
A

apb

Veteran
Thanks for the replies. wet wipes and a can of GT85 will probably do most of the work without leaving a pool of grease around were i washed my bike.

I usually use turps on my chain which can be pretty messy. I'm just going to have to not do that.

OP
OP
A

apb

Veteran
You get a lunch break! [Life of Brian Mode] You lucky lucky b****** [/Life of Brian Mode]

Alan..

It might infuriate you further, but everyone in my office gets one. Sometimes i take the bike out and do a lap of Arthur's Seat. It's cool city to ride a bike and sh*t one to drive a car.

screenman

Legendary Member
I stopped taking lunch hours when I first went self employed 39 years ago, I would much rather work straight through and get home an hour earlier. I know not everybody gets this option.

oldroadman

Veteran
Thanks for the replies. wet wipes and a can of GT85 will probably do most of the work without leaving a pool of grease around were i washed my bike.

I usually use turps on my chain which can be pretty messy. I'm just going to have to not do that.

Er, why?? If you want a cleaning solvent there are cheaper ones, but why not just wipe it over and a light lube?

OP
OP
A

apb

Veteran
Er, why?? If you want a cleaning solvent there are cheaper ones, but why not just wipe it over and a light lube?

Turps is pretty cheap, less than a pound for a litre and using a brush gets grease off pretty quickly and especially hard to reach places like between the sprockets of a cassette and the jockey wheels of a derailleur. I've always found it effective, cheap, but messy.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
[QUOTE 2762932, member: 259"]Is that wise? It's been a while since I used a baby wipe, but don't they usually contain lubricants?[/quote]

Not that I know of and if they do, then I have to say, it is not very good lubricant because I do it after every ride and my brakes are like boat anchors!

I clean my whole bike with baby wipes. No lubricant like residue ever left.

Koga

Turps is pretty cheap, less than a pound for a litre and using a brush gets grease off pretty quickly and especially hard to reach places like between the sprockets of a cassette and the jockey wheels of a derailleur. I've always found it effective, cheap, but messy.
Same for me, just keep it away from any bearings (including jockey wheels).

oldroadman

Veteran
Fair enough on the turps, something to learn every day! My old favourite, still used long after the team mechanics showed me for drive trains, is a good clean with a stiff brush + washing up liquid and relube with diesel and a paintbrush, wipe off with old rag, done. The old stage race favourite after a nasty wet day.

D

Deleted member 1258

My bikes get washed down once a week, polished once a month, I wouldn't dream of wasting my lunch break on bike cleaning.

Top Bottom