Cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnymak

After looking through numerous threads and posts on the net on the subject Iof whst to use and whst not too use on parts and frames ive now a cleaning cupboard like a supermarkets shelf

What are we all using to

1. Clean off rust
2. Clean oxidation
3. protect oxidation from rusting
4. Polishing components
5. Frame polish
6 frame protection

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
For cleaning just water and washing up liquid with Mr Sheen polish to finish off.

That's all you need and has served my bikes very well for many years.

Drago

Legendary Member
1. Oxalic acid or DeOx gel.
2. Depends how bad, but varying grades of wet and dry, 000 or 0000 wire wool, metal polish.
3. Duck oil
4. See 2.
5. AutoGlym alloy wheel seal (aerosol).
6. See 5.

OP
OP
Johnymak

Johnymak

I've used white vinegar to clean off rust off f parts ive aqiured
( none of my parts have any rust Just thought I'd add this)
I've read that vinegar and other compounds can effect a polished finish and also read that some alloys shouldn't be polished and buffed at all

Globalti

Legendary Member
Everything on my best bike is gently washed in the milk of virgin unicorns then buffed with Bulgarian rose petals.

The no 2. bike gets washed down with hot water with car shampoo applied with a soft hand floor brush then rinsed and dried with a microfibre cloth.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Same as Ianr - car shampoo/washing up liquid and Mr Sheen. The MTB's frame gets a quick wipe down with either GT85 or the Muck Off Protector just to reduce the mud cling (I put it on a cloth first as you don't want it near your rotors).

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Water and washing up liquid, GT85 on derailleurs, cassette, ‘mickle’ and lube the chain, and Wilko’s disc brake rotor cleaner. Lots of rags for cleaning the chain, rotors and jockey wheels.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
will somebody explain this cleaning malarky to me

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Washing up liquid or car shampoo from the pound shop. Warm water and a sponge.
The cassette, chainset and chain are done with household bleach and a brush from a brush&pan set.
Polished components are given a once over with Tcut.
The whole bike is then doused in GT85 and oiled with White Lightning Wet Ride oil.
This is for a super clean... otherwise, after a wet ride the bike just gets a hosedown to get rid of brake residue and grit plus a 'mickle' if needed.

Jody

Stubborn git
Quick spray with Muc Off, blast the loose stuff off, then a wash with car shampoo and a wash mitt. Rub the chain down with a cloth, re-lube and oil the stanchions.

I will only wash the bike if it will be detrimental to put it away in the condition it arrived back post ride.

Top Bottom