Cleat mileage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
My SPD cleats have been creaking for the last 3-400 miles.

Cleaned and oiled them several times and same again with the pedals (Shimano M520). Made no difference so I changed them yesterday. Now silence.

Done 5400 miles - Is this about right?

I cleaned (lubed them weekly before I change d them. I wore them in recessed soles and took shoes off when I finished my rides

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Done over 12,000 miles with a pair mine. The shoes gave up first rather then the cleats otherwise who knows how long they would have lasted. Never cleaned the cleats, lubed them or worried about walking on tarmac etc.

Strange isn't it? Just one of those things I suppose.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Whereas I'm wearing Look Keos and wear mine out from all the stop starting at traffic lights - probably have to change them every few months when I was commuting full time.

I suppose people have individual riding styles which influence cleat wear

Fiona N

Veteran
I noticed the Crank Bros cleats (recessed like spds) lasted for ages on new Specialized shoes but as the shoes started to wear (this was on a pair I use for shopping and general getting around-type biking so they do a fair bit of mileage on foot) then the cleats went too.

Now it's getting to the point where cleat wear is driving me to buy a new pair of shoes - really :whistle:

oliglynn

Über Member
amusing cleat bolt fail - one of the bolts came out (I use the 2 bolt mtb style ones) unbeknownst to me, and I got attached to my pedal with no way to twist off! As I had overshoes on it was even trickier to get my foot out of the shoe, and ended up with me lent up against a wall struggling to free myself from my overshoes and shoes!
wacko.gif

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can't remember ever buying new SPD cleats, though I have had a couple of spare sets with new shoes.

They last for ages on the road.
Off-road use in rocky conditions can wear them more quickly if you have to frequently dismount and walk over sharp-edged rocks.

amusing cleat bolt fail - one of the bolts came out (I use the 2 bolt mtb style ones) unbeknownst to me, and I got attached to my pedal with no way to twist off! As I had overshoes on it was even trickier to get my foot out of the shoe, and ended up with me lent up against a wall struggling to free myself from my overshoes and shoes!
wacko.gif

I've had that happen and so have a couple of my friends. Make sure the bolts are tight, folks!

GrasB

Veteran
Whereas I'm wearing Look Keos and wear mine out from all the stop starting at traffic lights - probably have to change them every few months when I was commuting full time.
Problem with look cleats is that it's typically the side of the cleat that wears down is the road surface side which means the more you have to put your foot down the quicker they wear out. This is one reason I've moved to speedplay cleats, the surface that contacts the road is metal & has nothing to do with actually clipping in.

e-rider

crappy member
m520 pedal bearings need greasing from time to time - cleats last for years though.

Unlike look keo cleats - I've been through 2 pair since writing this message!

rb58

Enigma
Mine squeak too. Usually starts after about 50 miles on a long ride. Always the left pedal, never the right. On both bikes. And with different shoes. Go figure! Cleaning and lubing makes no difference. I think it's just the way my left foot works. I tune it out after a while.

GrasB

Veteran
Every clipless platform has its own unique pitfalls, there isn't a perfect one. If you think that look is the way to go don't hesitate.

Tynan

Veteran
still on my first ever set of spd cleats, nearly 3 years and 13,000 odd miles in and they're still fine, I've expecting to have to change them for a long time, I replace one bolt but that's it

and them's stop start London commuter miles too

Top Bottom