Cleat - Pedal Movement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aerobrain

Über Member
Hi

I run Shimano SPD-SL cleats on a set of the entry level Shimano pedals. I've got the yellow cleats giving a bit of left right heel movement. However, I'm also getting play in the vertical direction on my left foot, as in it feels like the foot is lifting off the pedal slightly. It's definitely around the pedal and not just my foot in the shoe is there's a definite noise from the cleat/shoe/pedal interaction.

The pedals and shoes have done around 4k miles but the cleats have only done around 300 so pretty new. I've adjusted the tension screw, I know this is meant for release tension but I though I'd try in case it did have any effect.

Any ideas?! Drives me nuts!!!

Thanks

Lee

Make sure the front and rear sticky out bits (apologies for the expert technical terms) are still intact. Although your yellows have only done 300 miles or so, it is possible that the bits that engage with the pedals are worn or even broken off. Cleat life is much more related to how much walking on them you do and not so much related to miles pedalled.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Either the bolts or you have worn down the cleats. It's not about how many miles you've cycle with them but how many miles you have walked.

Top Bottom