Cleat Position

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Yeah, this is bound to be a really exciting one.. :whistle:

I runs SPDs with Shimano XC5 (cyclocross) shoes. Through lots of trial and error when I first got them I'd positioned the cleats right at the front of their travel; locating them probably just about beneath the ball of the foot and pushing the shoe back on the pedal.

I've recently seen a load of stuff on the net that promotes a more rearward cleat position so gave this a go - initially moving the cleats back 10mm. They didn't stay like this for long as it was (perhaps counter-intuitively) moving my arse back on the saddle and further extending the already stretched reach on the Genesis.

I moved the cleats forward another 5mm or so and have probably covered about 100 miles with this format. Recently I've noticed a light tingling sensitisation in the underside of my toes when they contact stuff (carpet, inside of shoes etc) off the bike. I suspect this might be because the new cleat position is loading up the soft area of my foot behind the ball and intefering with the nerves that go to my toes.

In addition I've noticed a bit of a twinge at the back left and right extremities of my left knee; which I think is due to a lack of toe-out on the cleat; which needed to be increased to accommodate the more foreward foot position.

The cherry on the cake that is this hapless exercise is increased toe overlap with the front wheel on the Genesis - no doubt exacerbated on this particular bike thanks to the far tyres and mudguards.

Needless to say I'll be moving the cleats back to their original position at the front of the shoe; however I find it somewhat concerning that I need them to be right at the extremity of their adjustment, while I can appreciate the arguments for a more rearward position that come from what I consider to be trusted / respected sources.

I'd be interested to hear where your cleats are (especially SPD / MTB variants) and you experiences of moving their position :smile:

Jody

Stubborn git
I've always had SPD cleats towards the very rear and then adjusted for the way my foot naturally hangs. My foot then pretty much sits where it would when using flat pedals

Last edited:
I've recently seen a load of stuff on the net that promotes a more rearward cleat position so gave this a go - initially moving the cleats back 10mm. They didn't stay like this for long as it was (perhaps counter-intuitively) moving my arse back on the saddle and further extending the already stretched reach on the Genesis.
Just on that particular point: did you drop your saddle height when initially moving the cleats backwards? The overall 'length' of your body, from the cleats via the saddle to the bars, is reduced by moving the cleats backwards, so you also need to reduce saddle height in order to reduce the distance from pedal to saddle to bars. It's only something like 5mm, but definitely necessary. (Speaking as someone who has their cleats quite close to mid-foot, using adaptor plates to facilitate that.)

T4tomo

Guru
having gone through this....
Through lots of trial and error when I first got them I'd positioned the cleats right at the front of their travel; locating them probably just about beneath the ball of the foot and pushing the shoe back on the pedal.
why the heck did you do this?
I've recently seen a load of stuff on the net that promotes a more rearward cleat position so gave this a go - initially moving the cleats back 10mm.

cleats - get them comfortable, then leave well alone!

Draw around them with a sharpie (other methods exist) to make sue replacement cleats go in same position.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Draw around them with a sharpie (other methods exist) to make sue replacement cleats go in same position.

No need with SPD cleats. They have a serrated base that digs into the sole and leaves a permanent imprint so new cleats drop right into the exact same spot unless you purposefully move them to another position and then tighten, thus making a second imprint.

byegad

Legendary Member
I found I was getting numb feet on SPDs, no matter where I moved them after 30mins-1hr.

I changed to Crank Brothers Candys and no more problems. CB use a slightly smaller cleat and eggbeaters inset into the pedal platform. For even greater platform area use Mallets from the same company.

The other option is to get stiffer soles. Yours is a 7/12 apparently - I guess a stiffer sole would help with the pressure.

Or if it isn't broke - don't fix it ! :-)

Wooger

Yeah, this is bound to be a really exciting one.. :whistle:

I runs SPDs with Shimano XC5 (cyclocross) shoes. Through lots of trial and error when I first got them I'd positioned the cleats right at the front of their travel; locating them probably just about beneath the ball of the foot and pushing the shoe back on the pedal.

I moved the cleats forward another 5mm or so and have probably covered about 100 miles with this format. Recently I've noticed a light tingling sensitisation in the underside of my toes when they contact stuff (carpet, inside of shoes etc) off the bike. I suspect this might be because the new cleat position is loading up the soft area of my foot behind the ball and intefering with the nerves that go to my toes.

In addition I've noticed a bit of a twinge at the back left and right extremities of my left knee; which I think is due to a lack of toe-out on the cleat; which needed to be increased to accommodate the more foreward foot position.

The cherry on the cake that is this hapless exercise is increased toe overlap with the front wheel on the Genesis - no doubt exacerbated on this particular bike thanks to the far tyres and mudguards.

Needless to say I'll be moving the cleats back to their original position at the front of the shoe; however I find it somewhat concerning that I need them to be right at the extremity of their adjustment, while I can appreciate the arguments for a more rearward position that come from what I consider to be trusted / respected sources.

I'd be interested to hear where your cleats are (especially SPD / MTB variants) and you experiences of moving their position :smile:

There's no reason to think that your cleat needs to be on the ball of your foot, the whole point of cycling shoes is to be stiff, provide a comfortable platform for your whole foot and avoid hotspots. You are not walking and shouldn't be flexing your foot much if at all.

2 obvious problems from your post:
1. You need to adjust your saddle forwards by the same amount you move your cleats back to maintain the same offset from your saddle to the bottom bracket. Apart from this, if you point your toes at all you've also made your legs effectively slightly shorter so you may need to change your height a little too.

Regardless, all of that should act to decrease the reach to your handlebars, not increase it. Moving cleats back helps with fit in almost every case, but you need to adjust the rest of your bike to match.

2. Those shoes are pretty flexy and yes, you will feel pressure from the cleat regardless of where you place it. I had a pair of the old lace-up XC5 for my winter and gravel bikes and recently cracked the carbon? plate on one side too which didn't help. There is no such issue on stiffer soled shoes regardless of cleat position.

I run my cleats slammed all the way back on all my shoes, SPD & SPD-SL alike (exact same position on each obviously) and find it far more stable. There should be no difference in performance unless your saddle is too high and you're pointing your toes to compensate. It does take some getting used to though.

I can't help with toe overlap, but it never comes up except when trying to u-turn after missing a turn.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I run mine at the extreme of lateral placement - with the cleat putting the shoe as far out, away from the crank as possible. I have to do this because my feet naturally toe-out and I catch the crank arm with my heel if I try to move inwards. In terms of fore-and-aft, I have three pairs of Shimano shoes and they are all slightly different relative to the available range, but generally around the middle, tending to slightly in front of middle.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Thanks all - didn't think I'd see as many replies as there have been :smile:
Just on that particular point: did you drop your saddle height when initially moving the cleats backwards? The overall 'length' of your body, from the cleats via the saddle to the bars, is reduced by moving the cleats backwards, so you also need to reduce saddle height in order to reduce the distance from pedal to saddle to bars. It's only something like 5mm, but definitely necessary. (Speaking as someone who has their cleats quite close to mid-foot, using adaptor plates to facilitate that.)

I didn't; although perhaps I should have done.. didn't think that it'd make that much difference but perhaps I'm mistaken. Not sure that the issue I've found with my toes though..

.. because current thinking suggests that it's advantageous to have the cleats further back so I thought it was worth exploring this.

The cleats were pretty much as far forward as they'd go, while their original positions have been both marked and photographed so getting them back to where they were is no big deal ;)

There's no reason to think that your cleat needs to be on the ball of your foot, the whole point of cycling shoes is to be stiff, provide a comfortable platform for your whole foot and avoid hotspots. You are not walking and shouldn't be flexing your foot much if at all.

1. You need to adjust your saddle forwards by the same amount you move your cleats back to maintain the same offset from your saddle to the bottom bracket. Apart from this, if you point your toes at all you've also made your legs effectively slightly shorter so you may need to change your height a little too.

Regardless, all of that should act to decrease the reach to your handlebars, not increase it. Moving cleats back helps with fit in almost every case, but you need to adjust the rest of your bike to match.

2. Those shoes are pretty flexy and yes, you will feel pressure from the cleat regardless of where you place it. I had a pair of the old lace-up XC5 for my winter and gravel bikes and recently cracked the carbon? plate on one side too which didn't help. There is no such issue on stiffer soled shoes regardless of cleat position.

I run my cleats slammed all the way back on all my shoes, SPD & SPD-SL alike (exact same position on each obviously) and find it far more stable. There should be no difference in performance unless your saddle is too high and you're pointing your toes to compensate. It does take some getting used to though.

I can't help with toe overlap, but it never comes up except when trying to u-turn after missing a turn.

Thanks - I'm not sure about saddle fore / aft position as the video I watched suggested that moving the feet forward would push you back on the saddle; and it definitely felt that this was the case when testing the initial position 10mm further rearward of where it was. Could be that I should have adjusted the height though and maybe the knee issue in the left leg is related to saddle height.

As both you and @cougie uk suggest it may be that the shoes aren't stiff enough to prevent some concentration of pedalling load on the area of the foot that's directly above the cleat. I'm certainly not keen on the idea of replacing them and think my choice is limted anyway tbh, since I have fairly wide feet which is one reason I went with the XC5's due to their full length lacing.

It seems that most by default seem to run their cleats a lot more rearward; which makes me wonder why I seem to get on better with them so far forward..
Thanks all - didn't think I'd see as many replies as there have been :smile:
I didn't; although perhaps I should have done.. didn't think that it'd make that much difference but perhaps I'm mistaken. Not sure that the issue I've found with my toes though..

.. because current thinking suggests that it's advantageous to have the cleats further back so I thought it was worth exploring this.

The cleats were pretty much as far forward as they'd go, while their original positions have been both marked and photographed so getting them back to where they were is no big deal ;)

Thanks - I'm not sure about saddle fore / aft position as the video I watched suggested that moving the feet forward would push you back on the saddle; and it definitely felt that this was the case when testing the initial position 10mm further rearward of where it was. Could be that I should have adjusted the height though and maybe the knee issue in the left leg is related to saddle height.

As both you and @cougie uk suggest it may be that the shoes aren't stiff enough to prevent some concentration of pedalling load on the area of the foot that's directly above the cleat. I'm certainly not keen on the idea of replacing them and think my choice is limted anyway tbh, since I have fairly wide feet which is one reason I went with the XC5's due to their full length lacing.

It seems that most by default seem to run their cleats a lot more rearward; which makes me wonder why I seem to get on better with them so far forward..

I run mine at the extreme of lateral placement - with the cleat putting the shoe as far out, away from the crank as possible. I have to do this because my feet naturally toe-out and I catch the crank arm with my heel if I try to move inwards. In terms of fore-and-aft, I have three pairs of Shimano shoes and they are all slightly different relative to the available range, but generally around the middle, tending to slightly in front of middle.

Thanks - I'm the same with the lateral position; both for the reason you describe as well as the fact that I tend to walk on the outsides of my feet, so pushing them outboard reduces the loading on the outsides, as well as allowing the legs to be a bit more upright and so reducing the liklihood of smacking the crossbar with my knees :smile:

alex_cycles

Veteran

Must be an Oxfordshire thing. I do that too. My right foot is more toe out than my left.
As far as cleat fore/aft position for SPDs - mine are pretty much in the middle.

Firstly, I'm not specifically sure why the toe tingling issue has arisen.

My question was more suggesting that if you didn't move the saddle to compensate for the more rearward cleat position, you should have done and consequently it's probably a bit too high (where a bit could be 20mm or thereabouts) and possibly not right fore/aft too. You mentioned that the reach was extended even more than before, from which I inferred 'not a good thing'. Also, a saddle that's too high will, or can, lead to issues at the rear of the knee, which you also mentioned.

I'd definitely try again, starting with the rearward position and then modifying the other things to suit, starting with the saddle position in both planes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom