Cleat Positioning - Advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

koro

Hi,

I dont know what I would do without these forums......

I`m 47, 13.5 stone, lost 3 stone after starting up cycling last year. I am getting fitter, just had a run out with a local club, and have a riding buddy.

Now the question, bear with me with this please... I have a varus wedge under my left Spesh insole, leg, knee and foot feel great. On my right, legs feel great, except for this. I hope I can explain it properly. I have seen on some websites on how to set up the knee over the pedal, that bony sticky out bit, below my right knee on the outside.( plumb line down to the pedal spindle) Well that bit has always been anoying more than hurting, I though it was a case of my fitness. As soon as I stop pedalling it dosn`t hurt, and when I have finished cycling it goes away within half an hour. The problem is though yesterday, I did 70 miles averaging 17mph. And that bony bit hurt like hell. Upto 50 miles, I can bear it. I put a varus wedge in, made no difference on this leg. I am upping my mileage now, and this is going to be now a problem. Would anyone know, if its a case of slightly moving the cleat, and if so in which direction? Or is it down to seat positioning, up/down, forward or backwards. I dont want to lose the good feeling I have in my left leg.

Thanks for readingthis and hopefully you know what I am on about :tongue:

rusky

CC Addict
Sounds like cleat positioning, rotational. You can either go for the scientific approach or twist the cleat & use trial & error.

Remember that your feet don't need to point straight forward, it depends on how your foot hangs naturally.

OP
OP
koro

koro

Sounds like cleat positioning, rotational. You can either go for the scientific approach or twist the cleat & use trial & error.

Remember that your feet don't need to point straight forward, it depends on how your foot hangs naturally.

Thanks, I am thinking its cleat positioning. With the limited amount of time I get on the bike I was hoping that someone may know what I`m on about and help me figure out which way to move the cleat...Any ideas what that boney bit on the outside of the knee is called?

I`m also thinking that I may need to move the seat back, but with the other leg being so comfy, I dont want to mess that one up...

Both cleats are positioned identical on the shoe, is it ok to move them around independently?

OP
OP
koro

koro

Sorry to be a pain ( in the knee), but would anyone know what I am on about. I think that I need to move cleat on right foot inwards, as I have limited time on the bike, I dont want to be going the wrong way (cleat movemant , that is :tongue: )

rusky

CC Addict
you may need to twist the cleat too so your foot is at a natural angle

This might sound a bit daft (I normally do) but can you clip yourself in then get a mate to (ever so ) slightly loosen the cleat bolts so that there is plenty of grip but your foot will naturally move the cleat into the optimum (for you) position. Ride back to your mate who can then re-tighten so that you can unclip again? Just a thought. A bit of a faff, I know but it might work.

Bill

adscrim

Veteran
you could draw around the cleat though. I think you need to set aside a couple of hours where you go for a ride in the knowledge you're going to stop a number of times to move the cleat.

A tip I've read on here previously is to sit on a table edge an look at how your feet hang naturally. Also, look at your feet while you walk - somewhere between the two will be where your feet should point on the bike.

No-one on an internet forum can tell you exactly where your cleat should be positioned if indeed it is the cleat that's the problem. Have you thought about bike-fit?

OP
OP
koro

koro

Thanks for your replies.....

I will start again with seat position, seems everywhere I look it says the bony bit in front of the knee over pedal spindle, had thought it was the bony bit on the side .... Also I will make a small adjustment to cleat moving it inwards, will see what happens. Like you said may have to rotate cleat as well.

As a 46 year old newbie, not that fit, do you end up readjusting the bike settings as you get fitter?

Bike fit, has anyone any good experiances of one,or is it hit and miss?

Top Bottom