Cleat positioning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are these new cleats or first cleats? If it's the latter you're doing pretty well to just have one problem to solve. Watch out for RAAM advice, these people are not mortals.

Now about those anal probes.........

yenrod

Ive Size 8's (42's) and have the cleats all the way forward and they are on the ball of the foot.

Technically, that means NorthWave have not drilled the bloody shoes proper inmyopinion !

As, if - I was to put em back then it feel ttooooooooooo weird !

OP
OP
Y

yello

Crackle - old cleats, new shoes.

You know what all of this is telling me? That there's a lot of conflicting advice and the only way to find out for real is to try it yourself! I really did think something like cleat positioning would be a straightforward issue with no discussion required. Yet I find there's a difference of opinion/preference that sees cleats being positioned just about anywhere. At least there appears to be agreement that they go on the shoes!

OP
OP
Y

yello

Well today's test was pretty inconclusive. At 40km, both feet had the tingles. I stopped for a pee and, after that, the right foot was okay - but left foot still tingling. Stopped to eat at 60km, afterwards left foot okay and right foot tingling. I don't get it!

I'll shift them right back for the next ride but I'm beginning to think it's nothing to do with cleats. They're carbon fibre soled shoes (first I've ever worn) so maybe there's a bit more getting used to them to be done.

Do you have high insteps Yello? I get this with certain shoes, especially walking boots if I lace up too tight over the instep. Could it be something that simple?

DB8416

Yello - I am just a beginner as regards to road cycling but fairly experienced in life in general (I make lots of mistakes and learn from them!). I think the crux of your statement is the 'new shoes' bit. If you are using the same bike (and I appreciate not all shoes are the same), it strikes me that, as you only get pins and needles in one foot, could the shoes and not the cleats be the problem here? I would wear in the shoes before you make any major adjustments. (although as I say, I am a beginner to road cycling!!). Thanks

OP
OP
Y

yello

Crackle said:
Do you have high insteps Yello? I get this with certain shoes, especially walking boots if I lace up too tight over the instep. Could it be something that simple?

I don't know if they're high but what you suggest is a possibility. The shoes have these ratchet style closures; I thought I'd got them loose enough to not constrict blood flow but maybe they could do with being a notch looser still.

DB8416 said:
I would wear in the shoes before you make any major adjustments.

All comments welcome db and new perspectives can sometimes provide the answer. I think your advise is wise. I'll wear the shoes in a little more before I get overly concerned with further cleat adjustments.

gemma83

Its very easy to get caught up moving cleats this way, then that way, if the shoes are new it may be that the area that the rachet tightens down onto is near a nerve in your foot causing it to go numb, but if your position is the same, saddle height, stem length etc, it could be that the carbon sole is a different shape, thus now making your saddle too high / low.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Thanks for waking this one gemma because an update (and closure?) would be in order.

It's been a few months now and I've left my cleats alone. The shoes are worn in and my feet are used to them. The problem, when it occurs, is resolved by loosening the middle velcro strap! So crackle is right in that it was instep related. I didn't think I was doing my shoes up too tight but I must have been.

Top Bottom