Cleat set-up and LCL pain...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

completecyclepath

I'm not sure if this is the best section to ask in but I'm really hoping for advice from others more experienced with setting up clipless pedals as I'm now completely lost on what to do.

Some background...Im amn experienced trials rider (the little ghopoy bikes) and having used an old Keith Coppell road bike for short trips over the past few years, I got the feel for road bikes and was bought a 2014 Specialized Allez in late January. A first ride with the toe clips left me with pains in my LCL (the outer 'bridging' section at the outside/rear of the knee) on my left leg. I just put this down to the clip holding my foot in the wrong position and possibly the saddle too high and have since switched to a set if 105 SPD-SLs and R065 shoes and readjusted my position.

Sitting on my worktop looking down, my feet point slightly outwards (and the outside if the foot supinated/slightly angled down). With this in mind I tried to allow for the natural position by setting the cleats with the ball of my foot just slightly ahead of the axle and angled inwards slightly.

On the bike, the yellow cleats felt like I had plenty of float either direction and did a short 9 mile ride to test but the dreaded pain came back. My right leg felt fine but around halfway I stopped to angle the cleat to let my point slightly further outwards at the toe but it didn't seem to help. I'll have to wait a few days for it to heal then try something else but I've no idea where to go from here.

I don't think the saddle is too high and I'm aware of professional bike fits but £100+ is a lot to spend for me, especially since I'm really only a casual rider just looking to get a couple of hours on the bike on a clear weekend (plus, the bike was only £450)!

I love being out on the bike but don't know how to troubleshoot this, so could do with some advice from those with more experience setting up pedals.

Edit: sorry for typos, on a little tablet that's a bit old and slow.

Top Bottom