Cleat wear problems...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dave2041

...As a taller guy (6'3") when i unclip to put my foot down i'm on tip toes. I think this is causing excess wear on my right cleat and obviously this is a bad thing.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Why not just put your whole foot on the ground?

If you insist on being on your tip toe, you will wear the front of the cleat, nothing you can do about it. Unless you learn to trackstand and avoid putting your foot on the ground at all. Cleats are consumables. Though, I get about a years worth of use of out of a Look Keo cleat and people are always moaning about them being fast wearing, so I have no idea what other people do to them.

OP
OP
dave2041

dave2041

Hmm, i have gotten out of the saddle and stood on the floor but i find it a bit cumbersome to get back in the saddle and clip in etc (nothing major, maybe i'm just lazy) And trackstanding on a road bike is too much for me haha, i do make good use of railings where possible though.

Peteaud

Veteran
Change to MTB SPD's, problem solved.

Its what I use with the Ultegra pedals and to be honest they are good but I still get a bit of rock side to side.
12885_00_d.jpg

Are you using spd-sl's?

If so :

The contact area with the pedal on the front of the cleat is the upper part.

This doesn't tend to get worn when walking - but does wear from contact with the pedal.

The rear does have a couple of contact points that do wear from walking which is why there are the two arms at the back of the cleat.

OP
OP
dave2041

dave2041

Hello Pete, i'm referring to the U shaped yellow part on an SH11 cleat being worn prematurely due to tip toeing whilst sat in the saddle stopped.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Hello Pete, i'm referring to the U shaped yellow part on an SH11 cleat being worn prematurely due to tip toeing whilst sat in the saddle stopped.

am afraid these just wear out over time, just bought a new set myself as I got to the point that I was unclipping just climbing up a hill. I would expect to get about a years worth out of them but if its a major issue than normal spd would be better.

OP
OP
dave2041

dave2041

am afraid these just wear out over time, just bought a new set myself as I got to the point that I was unclipping just climbing up a hill. I would expect to get about a years worth out of them but if its a major issue than normal spd would be better.

Next question then, where did you buy yours? Any bargains to be had?

To see what happens you ideally need to insert a loose cleat into a pedal Dave.

The contact area between the cleat and the pedal is on the top of the tongue (right at the U end of the cleat) and also the lip (on the cleat about 4mm back from the very end).

It is impossible (or unlikely I should say) to wear these points out by walking (although the tongue can wear away and snap off if the thickness is reduced by wear).

However these points do wear out quickly on Shimano systems by unclipping and clipping in as the metal pedal grinds against the plastic.

Top Bottom