Cleats (peddles)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martinsnos

At 52 I have just used cleat peddles for the very first time. I was very nervous about not being able to unclip but it is easy, don’t be put off. Here is what I found, worked for me.
- I bought the mountain bike type shoe which can be walked on comfortably as the cleat is recessed.
- buy 1 size bigger than you wear for normal shoes. Shimano get very good reviews.
- my pedals are Shimano also and can be clipped in whichever way you they are.
- I have almost zero DIY type skills but I managed to fit the cleats on the bottom of the shoes.
- my pedals are Shimano also and have the cleat ‘receiver’ both sides.
- the release is set on the loosest, easiest to unclip setting
- I tried clipping and unclipping in my lounge with a foot at a time before going on the road
- cycling felt totally natural and I unclipped several times without panic or incident.
- one of my fears had been that I would find the locked in foot position uncomfortable or something like that but it is totally fine.

Go for it!!!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Well done, SPD pedals are great and suit a lot of riders due to the ease of use and confidence inspired by the firm attachment to the pedal.

Just 2 things to remember in addition to your points above;

1, Make sure the bolts holding the cleats to the shoe are tight and check them after the next few rides to make sure they remain tight. If the cleats come loose you will not be able to unclip!!

2, Don't be too confident that you have mastered the art of unclipping. There is a good chance your brain will fail to engage at some point in the coming weeks/months/years and you will find yourself gracelessly toppling to the ground after you have stopped. Many or most people do.... :laugh:

Other than that, enjoy your new shoes/pedals and keep riding. :hello:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Apart from the small cleat, which can give "hot spots" on long rides or with insufficiently stiff soles, SPDs are just about perfect.

SPD-SL pedals are better on the bike but inferior in every other way: walking, ease of clipping in, cleat wear.

gunja99

Good stuff. I not yet gone this way, but will be soon... Nice to read someone who has got on well. I'm still getting comfortable with dropped bars, etc before adding another thing to think of, but I definitely will do ;)

Some good tips in here too

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

Good stuff. I not yet gone this way, but will be soon... Nice to read someone who has got on well. I'm still getting comfortable with dropped bars, etc before adding another thing to think of, but I definitely will do ;)

Some good tips in here too
Good to hear. Honestly, I’ll take anyone on in a dark alley if needed but I was really scared of cleats. Moment I tried them I was like ‘those wasted years of not having them’!!!

FitMum

Regular
At 52 I have just used cleat peddles for the very first time. I was very nervous about not being able to unclip but it is easy, don’t be put off. Here is what I found, worked for me.
- I bought the mountain bike type shoe which can be walked on comfortably as the cleat is recessed.
- buy 1 size bigger than you wear for normal shoes. Shimano get very good reviews.
- I have almost zero DIY type skills but I managed to fit the cleats on the bottom of the shoes.
- I tried clipping and unclipping in my lounge with a foot at a time before going on the road
- cycling felt totally natural and I unclipped several times without panic or incident.
- one of my fears had been that I would find the locked in foot position uncomfortable or something like that but it is totally fine.

Go for it!!!
Great advice! I am used to cleats when in spinning lessons and love it, but still scared to try on the road... but it will come soon I hope #fingerscrossed

MntnMan62

Über Member
Congrats. I too went with mountain bike cleats and shoes for both my road and mountain bikes. That way only one pair of shoes to wear as well as the added advantage of being easier to clip in. Your riding will be much more efficient with the clipless pedals and much more enjoyable.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

Great advice! I am used to cleats when in spinning lessons and love it, but still scared to try on the road... but it will come soon I hope #fingerscrossed
Do it, is fine. But find someone who knows what they are doing/use YouTube so you can set the release to the easiest setting when new to it - have fun!

gunja99

Clip in shoes for spinning sessions. Boy that was one class I hated at the gym hah. Lot of sweat though!

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

Go for it!!!
A road bike and cleats added 2mph to my average speed! Maybe more once I get more used to the bike.