Cleats!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robbiep

Über Member
Hi,

I'm new to cycling with cleats and I'm using the 'look' variety. How should I set up the cleats in the correct position? Knee a bit sore and I'm not confident the shoe is 100% correct. I've always used a pedal with a cage and never had any problems.

Think I could have explained this a bit better but I hope you get the general idea!!

Thanks

adscrim

Veteran
I read a tip on here about sitting on a table and letting your feet dangle. The angle your feet sit naturally should then be mirrored on the pedal.

With regard how far forward or back - this is going to depend on your feet. I'd suggest starting with the spindle under the ball of the foot and moving forward or back from there depending on how they feel. Most importantly, don't be afraid to move them. Five minutes taken to adjust your cleat could make a world of difference.

e-rider

crappy member
if they are not set correctly they will give you bad knees so don't ride more without sorting the problem.

no time to tell you know, sorry

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
adscrim said:
I read a tip on here about sitting on a table and letting your feet dangle. The angle your feet sit naturally should then be mirrored on the pedal.

With regard how far forward or back - this is going to depend on your feet. I'd suggest starting with the spindle under the ball of the foot and moving forward or back from there depending on how they feel. Most importantly, don't be afraid to move them. Five minutes taken to adjust your cleat could make a world of difference.

Absolutely.
So begin set-up to get ball of foot over the pedal spindle.
Then adjust to mirror the natural repose angle of your feet point when you sit relaxed on the edge of a table.
Then (esp if a triple) align to get your feet inwards as close to the cranks as possible (unless you're particularly bandy!).

You can always use the set-up for your toe-clips as a guide.
Also be aware that cleated shoes will be slightly higher off the pedal surface than shoes and toe-clips, so you may need to raise your saddle quite a few mm and adjust fore/aft a fraction to get your normal pedal stroke back.

All of this things may affect comfort.
Finally, I assume your cleats are the type with a certain amount of side to side float, these are the best to start with.

OP
OP
R

robbiep

Über Member
Yeah, i can twist my feet whilst clipped in, just sat on the edge of the table and my feet point forwards, so i guess that's how I'll set them up.

Do I want to get my feet as close to the arm as possible?

Thanks

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
(The instruction leaflet that comes with the cleats is a good place to start) - and once you are set up properly it is worth fitting the 'memory' (see leaflet again). If your shoe doesnt have a hole for the'memory part' (unusual if it has) use a (very) short self tapping screw, suitable for your sole thickness. Makes fitting relacements SO easy!

Top Bottom