Cleats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona N

Veteran
Two wheel recumbents require your balance foot to grip when it's on the ground. I found Look cleats/road shoes were not a go-er in this respect. You unclip, put a foot down and the cleat gets no traction on the road so over you go more or less ungracefully :biggrin:

Therefore, I'd suggested cleats compatible with mtb shoes (by this I mean shoes in which the cleat is in a recess in the sole of the shoes rather than sticking proud as with Look-type cleats). I used Crank Brothers pedals - either Quattro (road) or Candy (mtb) on all my bikes/trikes which means I can use mtb or road shoes as desired as the cleat is the same. Shimano spd cleats are mainly for mtb-type shoes and are a widely used option (probably cheaper than Crank Bros too :smile:) as they are compatible with most mtb/leisure shoes.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
:hello: MartinG and ;) to CC :wahhey:

:biggrin: (assuming he's the ENVY smillie) for your Nazca Fuego :biggrin:.

I'd confirm the recommendation for MTB-style shoes, which have the cleat recessed into the sole. This will enable you to have traction when you put your foot on the ground, as well as allowing walking without special cleat covers.

One of the standards is the Shimano SPD cleats - easy to use and a good (cheap) introduction to clipless pedals and cleats.

squeaker

Über Member
Standard Shimano SPD (compatible with various makes of pedal and shoe) with MTB shoes or sandals (which are brilliant on a 'bent, as your toes point upwards and are not liable to stub anything). If you are nervous about using cleats then pedals with cleats on just one side might help, otherwise Shimano A520 are nice - just back the cleat tension off to minimum while you are getting used to them.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
User3143 said:
Buy some MTB shoes and some Time pedals. They have free float which will be easier on the knees.

+1 to this. I use MTB shoes and Time Atac pedals on both my bents and find them absolutely brilliant. I had single sided Shimanos prior to this, and kept finding them the wrong way up :rofl:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
arallsopp said:
+1 to this. I use MTB shoes and Time Atac pedals on both my bents and find them absolutely brilliant. I had single sided Shimanos prior to this, and kept finding them the wrong way up :tongue:
As an interesting thought - if pedals are designed for using primarily on upright/wrong bikes, they sometimes have a bit of weighting to get them to sit flat - ie horizontal - when in a 'neutral' position.

Is this ever an issue on a 'bent, when you really want the pedals to be vertical ?

OP
OP
M

MartinG

scoosh said:
As an interesting thought - if pedals are designed for using primarily on upright/wrong bikes, they sometimes have a bit of weighting to get them to sit flat - ie horizontal - when in a 'neutral' position.

Is this ever an issue on a 'bent, when you really want the pedals to be vertical ?

The question had crossed my mind too.:becool:

I noted on a Shimano PD-A530 Spd / Platform Pedal box that they are recommended for use with recumbent.......

BenM

Veteran
scoosh said:

My M324s default to hanging vertical with the cleat side towards me. Works a treat except when I want to use the non-clipped side :tongue:

B.

Fiona N

Veteran
scoosh said:

Never a problem with 4-sided entry on Crank Brothers pedals :evil:

ACW

Hi you must get cleats, i found that on my nazca fuego if you hit a small bump your foot falls off the peddle with the potential to hit the road or the front wheel. i fitted standard double sided shimano peddles from my mountain bike

mcd

Fiona N said:
Never a problem with 4-sided entry on Crank Brothers pedals ;)

+1

They are very easy to clip in - I don't even need to push - the weigh of my foot is enough clip it in! But they are pricey - worth it if you can get them.

I also use Speedplay pedals on my race bike - a lot harder to clip in and the cleats aren't as practical, but when clipped in they are very solid feeling and I've never had a them unintentionally release in over 2 years of racing.

Top Bottom