Clever idea needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
[QUOTE 3587732, member: 9609"]Thats the one link to images I had one on my very first proper bike, just loved it. I can still remember the day the weather who I was with and the exact spot on the road i passed the 100 mile mark. Would just love another one of these, million times better than some gps enable phone....[/QUOTE]

The ticking of the striker on the star wheel worked like a metronome and you immediately knew if you were slowing down or speeding up. I wonder how accurate they were though. I don't remember ever testing it over a set distance.

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
I remember those things. The clicking would probably drive you bonkers and display is so far away you'd probably crash trying to read it!

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
[QUOTE 3587644, member: 9609"]I would love one of the original mechanical mileometer things that used to work off a clicker attached to a spoke. If anyone even knows what I am on about, what would they be called and anything like that still available ?[/QUOTE]
Just search ebay for 'mileometer'. You need to find a wheel size that is close to the modern 700.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MILEOMETE...A-50s-60s-70s-RACING-BIKE-CYCLE-/391056796244

Edit: 700 x 32 is very close to 27" x 1.25", and exactly the same as 27" x 1.125"

See this page and scroll down for the cribsheet
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cyclecomputer-calibration.html

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
mileometer.jpg

PM me your address and I'll get it off to you. This one appears to have been made by McDonald's. I'd wrapped the bits together with a bit of old insulation tape so they didn't get separated and the tape had started to disintegrate. It'll spruce up with a bit of white spirit type stuff. From what I remember it simply sits between the the wheel nut and the RH fork with the 2 nylon washers in between. I've not idea whether it will simply fall out of place if you use QR because it was just the old fashioned axle and nut.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
[QUOTE 3587692, member: 9609"]
But I like the mileometer as a sort of progress for the ride I am doing, a sort of countdown as how far I have left to go, I like the mental arithmetic of working out nonsense like - in 0.8 of a mile I will have done 4/5ths (i don't know why I do this, in fact it sometimes annoys me that I do)[/QUOTE]
I do that too!

I especially do it for elevation gain on long climbs, usually in 5 metre chunks. Once the halfway point is reached it makes the pain more bearable as metres done becomes much greater than metres left to do.

snorri

Legendary Member
There could be a problem with Cyclometers:whistle:.
Those of us old enough to have used the original Cyclometer will probably now be unable to read the mileage display down beside the front axle due to failing eyesight:biggrin:.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
[QUOTE 3588267, member: 9609"]That is a really kind offer, thank you. Do you know what wheel size it is designed for ?[/QUOTE]
It came off a 700c wheeled bike, but no, I don't know, is the honest answer.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just going back to the original post. It looks like a Cateye Velo8 similar to the one I had for many years. it didn't look anything like as crusty as Reiver's but would occasionally stop picking up a signal due to the contacts. The most reliable method of maintaining the contact was a large blob of Vaseline before clicking it on and it would then run for months in all weathers before failing again. In the end I gave up and got a Micro Wireless which has proven to be absolutely reliable. It was infuriating because I never removed it in normal use and all would be good until suddenly, partway through a big ride it would stop reading just when it was most important to know how far you had gone :cursing:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
1) Get rid of the old corroded contacts (you already have)
2) Get a couple of stainless steel pan-headed threaded screws, maybe four washers and nuts to suit. Put them where the corroded contacts were.
3) Put a couple of crimp eyelets on the two conductors
4) Connect up. Maybe smear a lot of silicone mastic over the eyelets
5) Drind/sand/file the heads of the SS screws so that they faintly resemble the profile of the original contacts
Job done.

Or get down to Lidl/Aldi.

young Ed

Veteran
not a clue on how to fix contact apart from replace, be it with a mileometer as you seem rather keen on or with another cheap computer
but what i really want to know is how did you balance the computer upside down on an angle on the bars in the pic in the OP? :thumbsup:
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom