Clever marketing trick.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I had an email from ITV hub to tell me that , after September 2022. I will not be able to use ITV hub because they are updating it and my Panasonic TV won't be compatible for the update because it will be too old by then.
What they are really saying is that they want me to ditch a perfectly good working set for a brand new one. I don't think so. I don't watch their hub much anyway so I will buy a new TV when my present one packs up.
The same trick is done with mobile phones, computers and other electronic equipment, I think it is a good indication of the throw away culture we live in, all in the name of making more money, regardless of its side effects and impact on the environment . Money always speaks and comes first. Unfortunately , it will never change but I try not to go with it.

Forgive my ignorance on this but simply don’t update the TV and it swill work or is it access to a cloud platform through the Tv?

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Not a marketing trick, just a fact that all software updatable devices reach a point where their hardware is no-longer able to support the latest available software releases. You can future proof devices to an extent, but it’s impossible to design a device that will support all future software releases forever.

I use a computer under my TV for all apps, I've been told a Roku Stuck is also excellent.

Smart TVs are a big con as the OP has found, they'll work for a bit then suddenly you need a new one.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
You won't know until you try to update the apps on the TV whether it will work or not.
It could just be ITV trying it on.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Eurosport stopped supporting the app on my 7 year old Samsung TV a few years after I bought it. The app stopped working. I bought a Chromecast dongle and chuck Eurosport over to the dongle from my phone, tablet, or laptop (or just watch on the portable device).

OldShep

Über Member
I got the same message regarding our Freesat box. I’m not bothered because it’s so much easier/quicker to use a cheap Firestick.

ExBrit

Über Member
All our smart TVs have a firestick in them. For one thing it boots a lot faster and it supports a lot more apps. Plus they're practically giving them away these days.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I had an email from ITV hub to tell me that , after September 2022. I will not be able to use ITV hub because they are updating it and my Panasonic TV won't be compatible for the update because it will be too old by then.
What they are really saying is that they want me to ditch a perfectly good working set for a brand new one. I don't think so. I don't watch their hub much anyway so I will buy a new TV when my present one packs up.
The same trick is done with mobile phones, computers and other electronic equipment, I think it is a good indication of the throw away culture we live in, all in the name of making more money, regardless of its side effects and impact on the environment . Money always speaks and comes first. Unfortunately , it will never change but I try not to go with it.
Even if an updated ITV Hub app won't run on your TV, you may well find that if your TV has a browser, you can still use that to access it.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I've got ITV hub on my phone/tablet. Load of old tut if you ask me. TOWIE, Love Island UK & US, EFL. Now I don't have a VPN I can't even watch it so it's no loss.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Well done that man :becool:

I'll spare everyone the monologue, suffice to say I feel the same and do my very best to distance myself from this sort of crap, insulate myself from future cost and appease my conscience re. the environmental impact.

I think this is one reason I love steel bikes so much; anxiety quelled by the knowledge that such a potentially practical and useful tool can be maintained myself on a shoestring, with no chance of "they've turned off support or an obsolete 10p component has failed - better throw it in the landfill and drop another grand on a new one".

Top Bottom