click-click-click?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jansi

Hello there,

A while after I washed my bicycle and lubed it, I discovered that the rear wheel had begun to click/tick when I am not pedaling. It ticks in the same way as when the pedals are spun backwards. (In fact, if i get the back wheel spinning in the right direction and then start turning the pedals backwards the clicking becomes more frequent)

That never used to happen. What do I do about that?

Thanks.

Mr Pig

Sounds like your freewheel is getting a bit noisy. Not much else fits.

OP
OP
J

Jansi

Well, yes. I gathered that it got noisy, thank you :-) But surely it should not catch on the metal whilst just going forward without pedaling. Oh..

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Freewheels pawls engage when pedalling 'forwards' but will tick over the teeth when not pedalling, or pedalling backwards.

Perfectly normal. Depending upon what you lubed it with, you could have washed some of the grease out of the freewheel - e.g. WD40 will do that. Yuo don't touch the freewheel - just wipe it with a rag.

OP
OP
J

Jansi

Fossyant, thanks. Yes, it never ticked before, was silent as anything, which is why mine isn't 'normal' it its current state. I will get it greased, hopefully that should return the silence? How odd! Thank you again.

A.

Mr Pig

It's not very easy getting grease into them, if it's a free-hub. You can do it though. Take it off the bike, wash it out with de-greaser and work some new grease into the gap.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
fossyant said:
Freewheels pawls engage when pedalling 'forwards' but will tick over the teeth when not pedalling, or pedalling backwards.

Perfectly normal. Depending upon what you lubed it with, you could have washed some of the grease out of the freewheel - e.g. WD40 will do that. Yuo don't touch the freewheel - just wipe it with a rag.

Agree. They generally make some kind of clicking when freewheeling, even very quiet Shimano ones. If it clicked when you turned the pedals backwards it should make the same noise when freewheeling. Sound like your clean and lube has done the click-trick!

byegad

Legendary Member
The best bet if there is any doubt about any sort of free wheel is replace it. Without knowing exactly what sort it is it's hard to advise on any replacement parts needed.
Even the great Sheldon Brown recommended replacement rather than repair!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
byegad said:
The best bet if there is any doubt about any sort of free wheel is replace it. Without knowing exactly what sort it is it's hard to advise on any replacement parts needed.
Even the great Sheldon Brown recommended replacement rather than repair!
It'll be fine.
The old style freewheels were pretty bomb-proof. you can pour a drop of oil into it and you'll wear out the teeth before it'll fail.

Top Bottom