Click every 3 1/2 turns of the pedal. Solved....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
For the last couple of rides, I've felt something "wasn't quite right" with the drive chain. Getting an occasional, but regular "click" when pedalling hard. It was more something I could feel rather than hear. But couldn't work out what it was with the bike in the stand at first.

Shimano 105, 11sp, KMC chain

It was only happening when pedalling with some effort, and roughly every 3 1/2 turns of the pedals - which pointed to a chain problem. I was betting on a stiff link.

Checked chain for wear/stretch - all fine, still plenty of life left in it. It's less than a year old.

So chain off, cleaned, lubed, checked end to end for stiff links. Nothing.

Put it all back together, hoping that the cleaning and lube would have sorted it. But on today's ride, problem was still there.

Closer inspection, bike on stand, top gear, turning pedals with a bit of resistance on back wheel, eventually realised that I was getting the "click" when the quick link passed over the cassette. Looks like the Quicklink had worn much more than the chain, maybe half a mm, and I was getting a slight "jump" as the QL left the cassette.
Replaced the QL and all fine.

I don't think I had re-used the QL when I last changed the chain, but can't be 100% sure.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Well done.
I like the way you spotted the problem, investigated causes until you found the culprit and fixed it!

Big John

Guru
I use KMC too but I tend to use the chain tool for splitting and joining. I've got a collection of quicklinks I've never used in a tin.....never to be used probably but you never know 😉

Top Bottom