*Click* from bottom bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

womblechops

Technical help appreciated.

I have developed a loud "click" when pushing down hard on the pedals (primarily right pedal) and I think it comes from the bottom bracket.

Trouble is, since it only happens under load (leaving the lights, going up steep hills) it is impossible to recreate (a) by the side of the road, or (:biggrin: with my ear slightly lower to find out where it is coming from.

Any idea what it could be?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Depends upon the BB (bottom bracket)

Could be... loose pedals, loose chain ring, or even a loose bb - even cartridge ones will click if not tight. Worse case it's a new BB.

Unship the chain off the front, now wobble the cranks - hold both pedals, and see if you have any play. Any noticable play, then it's a new BB.

Do yo have tools for removing the cranks and BB ?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Check and tighten thr following first
The 5 bolts on the spider
The cranks
The pedals

Those 3 are the usual culprits. If all those tightend and still clicking it could be that the BB just needs tightening also, very easy to do. What type of BB does your bike have? Could also be some grit or gunge between the BB and the frame. That is also very east to sort out

OP
OP
womblechops

womblechops

Two replies within 5 minutes! What service!

The bottom bracket is (I believe) an RPM Isis. It has recently had a bit of bad weather and so may be grit. I will work my way through your suggestions tomorrow morning and see if that sorts it.

I am gradually building up my bike specific toolkit and can happily deal with cranks and pedals but as yet I don't have a bottom bracket tool. The bike isn't very old so if it is anything more complicated than my tools can andle it will just go back to the shop.

Thanks again for your assistance.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The RPM Isis is a sealed unit cartridge BB is it not? easy to take out and check if you have the right tools. This will also help

JonoB

Über Member
Try the pedal first as these usually get grit in the bearing especially if is a non-sealed bearing variety.
I had this recently in France (gritty tracks). I took the end cap off the pedal and plushed it through with silicone spray. Worked a treat and the pedal now works better than ever. You may want to re-protect with lithium grease.

OP
OP
womblechops

womblechops

I know it isn't the pedals as they were recently installed (by me!) and the click happens on both sides.

As regards the BB, I now have a weekend project!

Thanks again all.

Breedon

Legendary Member
how did you get on?, i have excatley the same problem with mine only 3 months old but not same BB

simon_brooke

ianrauk said:
Check and tighten thr following first
The 5 bolts on the spider
The cranks
The pedals

Those 3 are the usual culprits.

Agreed....

Gerry Attrick said:
Cartridge BB's can also "fret" inside the BB shell when under load giving typically a clicking sound. Easily rectified by removing it and applying a thin smear of grease all round the outside of the cartridge before re-installing it.

Agreed...

Add one - the seat post. It can click if not adequately greased and it sounds as if it's coming from the BB. Take it out, apply a bit of grease, put it back. It can't do any harm and may solve the problem.

OP
OP
womblechops

womblechops

Breedon, sorry a sunny weekend meant I took my little daughter out instead of working on the Pearson (I have a sturdy weekend bike too with a child seat). I'll update here when I get round to it.

Top Bottom