clicking back wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clockhammer

Looking for a bit of advice as I'm a complete noob when it comes to any kind of mechanical faults on a bike. I was out on my MTB the other day and noticed quite a bit of clicking which was happening whether I was pedalling or not.

Removed the rear wheel tonight and there is definitely a bit of play in the axle, am I right in thinking this should not be moving at all? (apart from a rotation obviously) Just in case I haven't described this well I'm holding the outer most parts which have a bit of wiggle room if moved either up/down or side to side.

Anyone any ideas what this is and whether it would need to be taken into my LBS to fix? I'm kind guessing maybe bearings or something?

thanks in advance

simon.r

Person
The clicking could be one of many things, but it sounds as if your bearings need adjusting (as you've guessed), so probably worthwhile doing that anyway. If it eliminates the clicking then great, if it doesn't then time to look for the next thing!

Assuming it's a 'normal' cup and cone type bearing, a quick fix is to tighten the cones. You'll need cone spanners and an adjustable spanner. See here: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday-Cup-and-Cone-Hub-Basics-2011.html

A more thorough fix is to re-grease and adjust the bearings: http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/hub-overhaul-and-adjustment

Whether you do it yourself or get your LBS to do it is up to you. Personally I enjoy maintaining my own bikes and the initial outlay on tools is soon compensated for by the cost savings of not paying someone else to do it and by the convenience of being able to do jobs as and when suits me.

OP
OP
clockhammer

clockhammer

Excellent stuff, thanks simon. The two guides seem straightforward enough so I'll give it a go. Good thing is that it's an old bike that I don't mind playing about with, I wouldn't try this on my nice new bike though. Suppose it's pretty ideal having an old bike to learn the ropes.

Thanks for the reply Simon, appreciate it

simon.r

Person
Ta.

Tip - when you adjust the tension leave a *little* bit of play. Tightening the QR when you put the wheel back into the frame will remove the final bit of play.

You may will have to tweak the tension several times to get it just right!

OP
OP
clockhammer

clockhammer

Finally got a cone spanner, tightened too much first time, meant the axle didn't turn freely. Second time seems okay, no wobble in the axle now and turns freely. The cassette though does have a bit of lateral play, think I'll pop down the LBS just for a check up

Top Bottom