Clicking/Creaking noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As above. First port of call is the shop.

Ajax Bay

Guru
clicking noise appeared like 2/3 clicks per pedal revolution.
If it’s the sealed cartridge type, it sounds like a typical situation when the bracket collars haven’t been tightened up enough. They do need a lot of tightening ( about 40 Nm )
It says it’s threaded, which is probably where the issue is. Tighten the cups up / get the cups tightened up, and the noise should disappear.
"Shimano RS200 Chainset
Compact chainrings (34/50t)
Square-tapered"
So threaded BB shell and square taper BB - but 50-70Nm to tighten, and it'll be a cartridge BB (so no "cups"): tighten the right hand side (the correct way) and then do the LHS likewise.
But I agree with others: unlikely to be the BB, "like" well down the list.

OP
OP
L

Lauris

Right, I am going to inspect the bike in a few hours, I did forget to mention one thing is that before the ride I raised the seat post by 1-2cm. I don't know if that is the consequence of the clicking noise if someone could let me know before I start inspecting.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Also what indexes on the bike stand might be a quarter turn or so out when on the road. i sometimes have to tweak it after perfect set up to allow for changes caused by pressure on the drivetrain

OP
OP
L

Lauris

Yes, @dave r if I can't fix it myself I will take it to LBS.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Er... if the noise started when the OP raised the seat post, surely thats a strong candidate for creaks and clicks?

OP, did you tighten the clamp bolt to the torque shown in the little engraved figure?

Lozz360

Veteran
I’d wager it’s the seat post as the OP has just raised the seat. Easily eliminated. Just stand up and pedal. If creaking disappears then you have your answer.

OP
OP
L

Lauris

So just to update. I lubed the Seatpost and the screw. And went around the street and seems okay just now. On the seat clamp, it does say 7 nm limit. So I don't know did I over tighten the screw?

Lozz360

Veteran
Unlikely you overtightened it assuming no damage was caused. But be careful, 7nm is not much. Investing in a small torque wrench is a good idea IMO.

Top Bottom