Clicking from right side of bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jags

Guru
pound to a penny it's your pedal,try and get somebody to loan you a pedal its the only way to be sure.i've been there honest.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Well I can confirm that it actually is the pedal. I haven't actually done anything with it yet, but after checking cables, bolts and shoe laces, the pedalling with the left foot and the changing to new cleats was the clincher. It seems to be worse with new cleats.
So before I start medaling - should I just tighten the pedal, or take it off and strip it down, or just fiddle with the cleat adjustments?

Take it off and turn the spindle with your fingers, you should be able to feel if the bearings are shot. If it feels ok try give it a good clean & lube and re-fit it (bit of grease on the threads) and give it a try.
If the bearings feel rough you could try stripping it, depends what pedals.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
I haven't got any grease. I suspect a trip to Halfrauds is in order unless I can get to the LBS before 6pm. Any particular type I need?

betty swollocks

large member
Basic things first:-
1) Check that the crank is tight on the bottom bracket axle, so tighten it a bit, if you can.
2) Is the pedal tight in the crank? Tighten it up a bit - (clockwise)
3) If click still there, take the crank off the b/b axle, clean b/b taper and square hole in crank, grease the b/b taper, put crank on again. For the first few rides after, keep checking its tightness and tighten if necessary.
4) If click still there after 3) above, take pedal off (anti-clockwise), re-grease thread.
5) As others have mentioned, check that the excess cable on the front mecc is not flicking against the r/h crank.
6) If you are clipless, give the springs on the pedals some lube and while we're at it, check that your cleats are tight in your shoes.
Let us know how you get on.

Ps. In my experience, the most common cause of a single click per revolution on one side, is a loose pedal in the crank.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Thanks for all your help. I have fixed the clicking noise. Turned out my right pedal was loose. Must have been when I fell off on ice in January, the right pedal took a bit of a scrape and must have gradually worked itself loose. I actually drove into work this morning, but went home at lunchtime and thought it would be a travesty not to take the bike back in, so got to test ride it then (the beauty of living 4 miles from work downhill most of the way in!).

betty swollocks

large member
Plax said:
Thanks for all your help. I have fixed the clicking noise. Turned out my right pedal was loose. .

Told you :bicycle:
Glad you got it sorted. These small noises can be disproportionately annoying!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Jolly good..... PS Grease - get Finish line PTFE Teflon waterproof stuff - it's ACE ! £6 a small tube - I've got a little grease gun fab..been using it years......

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
fossyant said:
Jolly good..... PS Grease - get Finish line PTFE Teflon waterproof stuff - it's ACE ! £6 a small tube - I've got a little grease gun fab..been using it years......

I ended up getting some of the halfrauds bike hut stuff in the end. They only had that and a smaller more expensive tube of grease in stock. Seems to have done the trick.

Top Bottom