Clicking headseat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleekitcollie

Spez tricross sport 2010 7 months old . Few weeks ago I started getting a clicking sound coming from the headset area . Local bike shop gave it a wee tighten up whilst passing on a run and it stopped it for cpl rides . Sound came back so took it to spez dealer I bought it from who tightened it and said it was very loose . Ok for another cpl 30 mile rides ( all on road but some rough Tarmac on bits . Usual stuff ) now sound is back . U hear it when u shift weight side to side on bars worse if ur out saddle and if u stand and push bars side to side when off bike it's there loud click
anyway bike going back to shop 2 morrow ( another 80 mile round trip ) guy on phone said head set will have settled down a fraction after being tightened b4 and prob just need a tiny tighten . Not sure I'm happy with this as think there is an under lying fault somewhere
anyone had simmilar probs or any ideas what could cause this
be great to go to shop with more knowlage of poss causes
thanks

accountantpete

Brexiteer
My headset does the same after a couple of months use.

5 min job- undo the top nut,loosen the nuts on the stem where it contacts the steerer,tighten the top nut until there is no play and then tighten the stem back up.

If you tighten the top nut too much the steering will feel very grabby (ie not smooth) so just let it out a tad until the smoothness returns.

If you have problems within 2 months of doing this then I'd say there is a prob;em with the headset.

ricktabor1

I have a Tricross Sport 2006 and have had the same promlem. It annoyed me for ages until I changed the position of the adjustable stem. The stem can go in to a few positions. When I had mine in a more upright position (about 30 degrees +) it clicked, when I moved it to a lower racing position the clicking stopped.
I had done many a mile since without any clicking, however, when I did a charity ride the other day it came back a little. I'm still sure it's the stem though, probably needs tightening up again. If it carries on I'd consider a new stem, ideally i think they should have put oversize (31.8mm) handlebars and stem clamp on but who am I to criticise Specialized - i'm merely a customer?!!
If i'm wrong, I'm apologise in advance.

longers

Legendary Member
Before you take it in it might be worth taking off the stem clamp and giving the inside of it and the bars a clean. And giving the area of the bar that gets clamped a very thin smear of grease before reassembling them.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
longers said:
Before you take it in it might be worth taking off the stem clamp and giving the inside of it and the bars a clean. And giving the area of the bar that gets clamped a very thin smear of grease before reassembling them.

Smears of grease do it for me... works with carbon bits too....(what ever horror stories you hear...rubbish) I find the ahead systems tend to me more liable to 'clicks' than the older quill system...

I always use a bit of grease.:laugh:

OP
OP
sleekitcollie

sleekitcollie

thanx again guys , the bike is in the workshop and this time they are going to investegate the prob not just give it a tighten ,
didnt want to do anything to it myself as it is still under warrenty and also i,ve have botched it up ( im not a spanners (or alan key for that matter ) man:blush: )

thankx for the info though guys will post the outcome (happy i hope )
cheers

OP
OP
sleekitcollie

sleekitcollie

Ok got bike back they have replaced bearing but when bike came back I didn't notice that bars r a wee bit off center to the right . How do I streighten them up and does anything need re torqued after . This is prob very basic stuff but if u don't know it's easy to do the wrong thing .

accountantpete

Brexiteer
sleekitcollie said:
Ok got bike back they have replaced bearing but when bike came back I didn't notice that bars r a wee bit off center to the right . How do I streighten them up and does anything need re torqued after . This is prob very basic stuff but if u don't know it's easy to do the wrong thing .

You have to loosen the two nuts at the back of the stem that tighten on to the steerer and then jiggle the bars into position and finally re-tighten the nuts firmly using just your fingers and allen key.

This might affect the set up of the headset (unlikely if the top cap is still tight) and introduce some play into the forks. Test it by applying the brakes and rocking the bike forwards and backwards.

OP
OP
sleekitcollie

sleekitcollie

ok . managed that ok thanx , me and anything involving spanners , allan keys , hammer , electricity , and such like, dont agree it ALWAYS goes wrong:blush::ohmy:

bike seems great now no clicking , no free play , all seems well and after 2 runs and 80 miles its still ok , thanks again for all the info guys
cheers

Top Bottom