Clicking noise has now gone..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My bike just had a new chain and rear cassette from my LBS. Since getting it back there's a little clicking (3 quick clicks) from around the front cassette. It appears at the same pedal position (right foot down). I checked it all over for dirt, cleaned and oiled it, but didn't go away. Anway, after 30 odd miles commuting, its just gone away.

3 options:

1. Be pleased it's gone and think no more about it.
2. The click may have turned into something more serious, take it to my LBS to investigate
3. Not possible to know, could be anything.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
4. It's moved to one of your other bikes.

GC

PpPete

Legendary Member
5. It was telling you to learn to do such things for yourself, with help from the good folks on CC, but you ignored it. The fluffy bunnies will get you!

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Option 7) keep changing components as you already have, maybe try the pedals next, changing the frame should always be the last component change

Its also a good way for getting a new one

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
its passed to my bike, only creaks when the right foot is on the down stroke and its driving me nuts !

byegad

Legendary Member
9. The component causing the noise is now worn out and rather than be adjusted, it needs replacing.

10. The component will fall off the next time you ride.

PpPete

Legendary Member
its passed to my bike, only creaks when the right foot is on the down stroke and its driving me nuts !
Regular creaking in time with the pedal revolution, if on a square taper or octalink is often due to an undetectably small amount of play between BB spindle and left crank.
If left for any length of time (especially on a square taper) you'll never get rid of it, however hard you tighten the crank bolts, because the square hole ceases to be square..

Of course if you've left it that long you won't be able to find just a matching left crank and will need a whole new chainset, but why not get a whole new drivetrain while you are at it? Or, somewhat easier and maybe cheaper, N+1, and use the creaking one just for going down the pub.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Regular creaking in time with the pedal revolution, if on a square taper or octalink is often due to an undetectably small amount of play between BB spindle and left crank.
If left for any length of time (especially on a square taper) you'll never get rid of it, however hard you tighten the crank bolts, because the square hole ceases to be square..

Of course if you've left it that long you won't be able to find just a matching left crank and will need a whole new chainset, but why not get a whole new drivetrain while you are at it? Or, somewhat easier and maybe cheaper, N+1, and use the creaking one just for going down the pub.
BB is less than 6 months old but the cranks have seen a good 10k so i might look for a new crank set for crimble

Top Bottom