Clicking noise in my back wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trev 73

I have this very annoying clicking / flicking noise coming from the back wheel of my Carrera Crossfire e bike , I can`t find out what it is . Does anyone have any ideas ?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Could be anything from anywhere.
Get the wheels off the ground and turn the cranks. Any movement at the rim? If it does sound like it's coming from the wheel remove it and spin it.
May be the freehub. Check the chain for a stiff link.

:welcome:to the forum.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Does it still happen when you are pedalling standing up? (I had a similar problem recently which I was convinced was coming from the transmission somewhere. It turned out to be loose seatpost clamp bolts!)

Twilkes

Guru
If it's regularly every rotation but makes no noise if you raise the bike and spin it with no weight on it, check the spokes are all tight enough, that's what my last noise was when I'd been through everything else.

If it's all the time even when freewheeling that should rule out any drivetrain problems.

All uphill

Still rolling along
My latest ticking noise while pedalling was my long shoelace hitting the crank every rotation.:laugh:

Took me a while to diagnose.

OP have you had a close look at your bike?
Any twigs or leaves caught somewhere?
Does it happen all the time or only when you pedal, or are in certain gears?
Have you checked if anything is loose?

geocycle

Legendary Member
Check your FD cable at the end isnt sticking out and striking the crank as it rotates.
Just had that today! Had attributed it to the saddle And gone all around the houses greasing!

For the OP. Try to narrow it down, does it only occur when pedalling? What if you are standing? What is the frequency? I had one that only occurred going up steep hills, turned out to be rear spokes that needed a tweak and drop of oil where they crossed.

fraz101

I have developed the exact same with
My bike.

Real wheel cracking sound when turning,pedalling or not and even does it on the stand.

Pretty sure it’s a spoke. I’ve tightened them all and lubed where they cross over….still there though.

Only noticed it today on last few miles of a bumpy ride.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I have developed the exact same with
My bike.

Real wheel cracking sound when turning,pedalling or not and even does it on the stand.

Pretty sure it’s a spoke. I’ve tightened them all and lubed where they cross over….still there though.

Only noticed it today on last few miles of a bumpy ride.
Hmmm.

I'm assuming that you are new to bicycle repairs; if that is so you may have turned one problem into two by adjusting spoke tensions.

The click or crack you hear is almost certainly metal contacting metal while the rear wheel turns. Put it on your stand and listen/look/feel carefully - you should be able to find the origin of the noise.

By adjusting spoke tensions you will have changed how true your wheel is which may cause you other problems.

I'd respectfully suggest a trip to your bike shop.

fraz101

Hmmm.

I'm assuming that you are new to bicycle repairs; if that is so you may have turned one problem into two by adjusting spoke tensions.

The click or crack you hear is almost certainly metal contacting metal while the rear wheel turns. Put it on your stand and listen/look/feel carefully - you should be able to find the origin of the noise.

By adjusting spoke tensions you will have changed how true your wheel is which may cause you other problems.

I'd respectfully suggest a trip to your bike shop.
When I say I’ve tightened spokes, I mean I ensured they arent slack.
Maybe a 1/4 turn here and there.

Top Bottom