clicking noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steampig

Ok I've had the new bike about 5 or 6 weeks now and started to notice an annoying clicking sound.
I only notice when in stood up over the bars, at first it sounded very much like the cables banging the bar but they arnt.
It's been driving me round the twist until this morning when I think I've found the source.
When I grab and squeeze the spacers on the headset they make the noise. They arnt lose enough to move or spin but when squeezed make a click. I think they are plastic made to look carbon but without taking them off not 100% sure. I'm hoping one has a crack or something in it which will explain the noise.
Is there something more serious I should be looking at/thinking of before I take it to bits to inspect and re tighten??

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Is there play in the headset?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Could be a number of things , i had a similar problem and regreasing the headset bearings ( which you should not need to do yet ) , and greasing the steerer tube , spacers and stem solved it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Is there play in the headset?

Not that I can, not sure what I'm looking for to be honest but will double check
Stand at the side of your bike and lock the front wheel by applying the front brake. Then try to rock the front of the bike forwards and backwards. If there is play in the headset you will feel it. If it is really bad you can even see it!

I've also had problems with clicks coming from the stem/bars interface. One time, I had overtightened the bolt on the stem and the noise was the sound of the thread in the stem disintegrating ... It finally packed up and the bars came loose, fortunately just after a fast descent rather than during! :eek:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Undo the stem pinch bolts and reset stem adjuster bolt a 1/4 turn ata a time untill play stops and then nip up the stem bolts.
ive had this with plastic spacers..cheapest option first..

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I had this last year - thought it was pedals, cranks, saddle etc.

Turns out it was the aheadset top cap whatever it is called. Took it out, put it back in and the clicking stopped never to return!

Top Bottom