Clicking on all of my bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
For some reason all of my bikes make a single click sound when I am pedaling. And its not when I am putting force through the pedals, its when I am lifting my right foot.
It happens on all my bikes, no matter what the age. I am sure it is the BB (pedals are fine and have experimented with the cleats).
It doesnt seem to make any difference to my riding but it is mighty annoying. Is it something I can fix? Has muck got into the BB?
I have never taken apart the BB and cleaned it on any of my bikes. So should I do that?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Shoe laces?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Do you share the same BB between all of your bikes? No, I thought not ... Well, it probably isn't the BB then, or any other part of the bikes.

The common denominators are you, and your shoes. Either your right knee or your right ankle is clicking, or your right shoe has something wrong with it, such as a loose or cracked sole. Or maybe you ride heal-in, and your right heal is catching the chainstay?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

I was trying to think of something that might be common to all your bikes and I decided you might be the common link. Mind you, I once got puzzled by a front dérailleur cable end that was catching on my shoe. But I can't imagine something like that happening on all your bikes.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Perhaps it is the BBs, he did say he'd never cleaned them. Definitely worth a try, Matthew, because a bike with a newly-cleaned and greased BB rides a lot smoother :smile:.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i know exactly what this is because i had the shop strip down my bike because the same thing was driving me mad.

It is your cleat. When you pedal your cleat clicks. I only discovered this after i had to pay the shop for completely stripping my bottom bracket, cranks out etc LOL. We worked it out after the noise didn't go away, so my mate took it for a spin to see if he could work it out. coz he was wearing normal shoes it didn't happen. I found a bit of spray lubricant every couple of days helped stop it.

As it happens with all your bikes, i bet its the same problem.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Camera or air zound rattles, these seem to be on all bikes.

Check shoes first and cleats. Then you need to remove, clean threads, re grease the BB. Two of your bikes will use square taper, and the Secteur will be a Hollowtech. It could be the BBs are on the way out on the hybrid and the Muddy Fox road bike.

Clicks with cartridge square taper are usually that the cartridge isn't tight in the frame.

Also check chain ring bolts are tight, as well as pedals.

It's just odd it's on all three bikes, but it could be if you haven't ever touched the BBs. How long has each bike been doing it.

If it was me, I investigate clicks immediately. Something I can't stand. Fortunately my bikes are nice an silent. It's also the same with the kids and missus bikes, any funny noises are fixed.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Camera or air zound rattles, these seem to be on all bikes.

Check shoes first and cleats. Then you need to remove, clean threads, re grease the BB. Two of your bikes will use square taper, and the Secteur will be a Hollowtech. It could be the BBs are on the way out on the hybrid and the Muddy Fox road bike.

Clicks with cartridge square taper are usually that the cartridge isn't tight in the frame.

Also check chain ring bolts are tight, as well as pedals.

It's just odd it's on all three bikes, but it could be if you haven't ever touched the BBs. How long has each bike been doing it.

If it was me, I investigate clicks immediately. Something I can't stand. Fortunately my bikes are nice an silent. It's also the same with the kids and missus bikes, any funny noises are fixed.
The Muddy is currently on the garage floor in bits, so I dont think that one has been clicking. Although it did do it too when I used to ride it.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
i know exactly what this is because i had the shop strip down my bike because the same thing was driving me mad.

It is your cleat. When you pedal your cleat clicks. I only discovered this after i had to pay the shop for completely stripping my bottom bracket, cranks out etc LOL. We worked it out after the noise didn't go away, so my mate took it for a spin to see if he could work it out. coz he was wearing normal shoes it didn't happen. I found a bit of spray lubricant every couple of days helped stop it.

As it happens with all your bikes, i bet its the same problem.
I will see if that helps.

The pedals on my Kona are quite old but still work perfectly (they are a bit stiff now but just need loosening). The pedals on my Spesh I got when I purchased the bike (Jan). But both pairs might need a clean and lube.

Top Bottom